Cannot get purchase on small square nut to bleed rad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to bleed one half of my rad. But the 3 different keys I have used have been unable to open or loosen the small square nut. I have tried a quick blast of WD40 to loosen it with no joy. The small square nut is so stiff the keys have ended up rounding off the edges making it more difficult to get a purchase on it. Can anyone suggest how I can overcome this problem

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replying mark but I am unable to get any purchase on the little nut in either direction because the keys have rounded of the edges. Do you have any other suggestions at all?

In that case i would put a new bleed valve on the other side of the rad(if there is a hole for it) they are only a couple of quid from a plumbers shop
PS some bleed valves can be removed while the pin is in if yours is this type remove the stuck valve and replace it ,2 minute job.
mark

Sponsored Links
File/grind the key as though it was sharpened in a pencil sharpener. Then it'll grip the square lower down. Or cut a slot across it and use a screwdriver.
I use a fine-nosed self-grip wrench, Vise-Grip or Mole. Works every time.

Might sound a silly question but what does a fine-nosed self-grip wrench, Vise-Grip or Mole look like? as I might already have one but am not familiar with the name.

Yes it is a silly question -try google.
321gs_sm.jpg

I use baby ones with long bent jaws.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back