Cannot remove handle from monobloc tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've got a B&Q Lisbon monobloc tap that's dripping from the hot pipe (ie if I isolate the hot water feed the tap stops dripping).

I've isolated the water supply, taken the cap off the handle, unscrewed the small screw inside the handle and unscrewed the tap body cover, but I cannot for the life of me remove the handle! It just will not come off. Am I doing something wrong? I've tried turning it to both extremes to see if it unscrews. I've tried pulling it. I've hit it from all directions with a rubber mallet. I've squirted WD40 in and around it, but it just won't seem to budge.

Any pointers or advice gratefully received.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Having read similar posts in this forum I have since also tried;

1. Wedging a piece of wood under the handle whilst open, then closing it.
2. Pouring boiling water over the handle

Neither of these worked. It seriously feels like the handle isn't meant to come off, but it must do, surely?!?!?!

When you pull the bell-shaped cover up, is there enough clearance to get a spanner onto the hexagonal piece inside it?

No, there's only about 5mm clearance so pulling the cover up only reveals the thread.

Sponsored Links
How about suspending the body between the jaws of a workmate so that only the actual handle is above. Put the screw back in the spindle and put the correct screwdriver in the screw-head - then give it a sharp tap with a metal hammer.

The theory being that you will now apply pressure uniformly and downward so it doesn't jam even harder. Put something under the workmate though as it will drop should you loosen it.

Thanks Joe. Don't really want to take the tap off the sink, but it's starting to look like that might be the only way! If that happens I'll just buy a new tap I think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back