Cannot view mailbox contents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have recently restored my Laptop OS after the Winlogon.exe was corrupted. I now find that i can surf all sites but when I try to access either Hotmail or Yahoo mail, the login pages appears and when I try to enter username and password the next page states 'Page Cannot be found!. I have tried from other computers and I can login into both account without any problems! Many thaks in Advance for all help.

Sponsored Links
Close all running instances of your browser, then clear the cache.

For example, for IE, use Control Panel->Internet Options->Delete bla bla bla.

Sponsored Links
Hi Softus

Tried what you have suggested bu the problem of 'Page Not Found' is still there! Any other ideas?

I have tried from other computers and I can login into both account without any problems! Many thaks in Advance for all help.

So what is different between the setup of your PC?

Could be being blocked by third party software (antivirus, firewall)

Also ensure that all your IE security setting are set to default.

Try Firefox and see if you get the same output. ;)

As Doc Lenny said could be antivirus and/or Firewall.

I remember your post about winlogon.exe being moved into AVG virus vault and you having to re install Windows.

I have a suspicion that AVG could once again be responsible - have had similar experience recently when trying to log into this and other fora.

I found that by disabling part of the Web Shield and the Link Scanner that all runs ok. Not the best solution but at least until I find out more it worked for me. My version AVG 8 - yours may be different but might be worth trying a temporary disabling of services to confirm if it is an AVG issue.
I might also be tempted to un install AVG reboot the re install - I know its a pain but AVG can be a little temperamental :)

There is no AVG installed on the Laptop indeed even after my problem with AVG naming Winlogon.exe as a virus and renaming it. I will try to disbale the firewall though I have also noticed that it will not download any Microsoft Updates as it complains there si a problem with the site yet I have tried from several sources!

There is no AVG installed on the Laptop indeed even after my problem with AVG naming Winlogon.exe as a virus and renaming it.
Did you uninstall AVG correctly?
What anti virus are you using now?

I will try to disbale the firewall though I have also noticed that it will not download any Microsoft Updates as it complains there si a problem with the site yet I have tried from several sources!
What firewall are you using? If it is a third party one have you disabled the Windows firewall - not rec. to run more than one?
Have you verified that your Windows install is recognised as genuine - if it is not recognised as such Windows update will go into a sulk :D

Hi Softus

Tried what you have suggested bu the problem of 'Page Not Found' is still there! Any other ideas?
Yup. Please do the following things in the order I've written them.

If you are using Internet Explorer, then use another browser and see if you get the same results.

You can get another browser from here.

If Firefox can access your Hotmail web page, and IE can't, then the problem is within IE. In this case, open the Internet Options again and go through resetting all security levels to the default settings, and, in Advanced, restore the browser defaults.

Please do that and then post back here if it's still broken.

If Firefox can't access your Hotmail page either, then check your hosts file for any naughtiness in there. Also report (as per others' requests) which firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware measures you're deploying.

HI Softus / Tony

I did delete cookies, temp files etc diabled the Windows XP Firewall and at that time had no anti virus software ruuning. This did not solve the problem.

I then installed Firefox Browser but again this did not solve the problem even after again disabling the firewall, Anti virus etc.

Firefox could not connect to its server afetr initial installation & startup. I can surf to any sites apart from Hotmail, Yahoo and Microsoft update sites. I even reinstalled AVG and scanned Hard drive which after installation could not update the lastest Virus update fiels and so coud only scan using the update file which came with the AVG version. This detected a few spyware programs.

How do I look for problems with the Osts file(s) ?

The only thing maybe left to do is re-install the OS again but this seems a long winded way of curing this problem. Any help again would be gratefully received many thaks for all your sterling efforts

HI Softus / Tony

I did delete cookies, temp files etc diabled the Windows XP Firewall and at that time had no anti virus software ruuning. This did not solve the problem.
How long have you been without anti virus protection?
I then installed Firefox Browser but again this did not solve the problem even after again disabling the firewall, Anti virus etc.

Firefox could not connect to its server afetr initial installation & startup. I can surf to any sites apart from Hotmail, Yahoo and Microsoft update sites. I even reinstalled AVG and scanned Hard drive which after installation could not update the lastest Virus update fiels and so coud only scan using the update file which came with the AVG version. This detected a few spyware programs.
This may or may not be relevant to your situation but If you have not done already you need to get rid of the spyware. A good free one in my opinion is Sbybot. Click on link below if needed
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html[/color]
How do I look for problems with the Osts file(s) ?

The only thing maybe left to do is re-install the OS again but this seems a long winded way of curing this problem. Any help again would be gratefully received many thaks for all your sterling efforts

I am not absolutely sure about this but in Internet Explorer if Java or Javascript is not installed correctly Hotmail will not work (You can access the login but you cant log on) and I assume that Yahoo and MS updates may operate similarly. If Java is the answer then this may explain why Firefox will not work for these sites

First you could check Java working using this page
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

Second Check In Internet Explorer to enable Javascript:
Select Tools / Internet Options
Security /Internet > Custom Level
Scripting > Active Scripting > Select Enable then OK

EDIT: Consider running an online virus check soon maybe one of these:
http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/solutions/activescan/
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/uk/
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

Sponsored Links
Back