Cant find a phoneline!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Bought a house which is need of complete modernisation/renovation. I cant find any phone sockets in the house. Does this mean there is no phone line installed? What is involved in installing one - does some ground need to be dug up or does it come into the property via a telegraph pole. Do I have to pay for this or is BT liable to install it?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have a look outside first, and see if you can see any wires coming into the property. maybe have a quick chat with the neighbours, and see if they can give any suggestions. If the previous occupiers have removed it (for whatever reason) then you'll need a new line, but if you can find the wires coming in, and then you may get away with a cheaper connection setup. Virtually all of the main providers will do an install nowadays, so just start ringing round, but yes, the cost I down to you I'm afraid.

Only way you are going to find out is to ring BT (Openreach now I think) if there is an old line there it will one of theirs (from the GPO days perhaps!) we still get ours from a telegraph pole are there some in your street?

Have a look outside first, and see if you can see any wires coming into the property. maybe have a quick chat with the neighbours, and see if they can give any suggestions. If the previous occupiers have removed it (for whatever reason) then you'll need a new line, but if you can find the wires coming in, and then you may get away with a cheaper connection setup. Virtually all of the main providers will do an install nowadays, so just start ringing round, but yes, the cost I down to you I'm afraid.

Will the costs be a £100 or so? If so then fine, but if its thousands to get a new cable hooked up etc... then thats not good!

Sponsored Links
you don't say where you are, but if the house is in a road with others, then a phone line is probably near.
My road was built in the 50's and all the phone lines are underground, some may be on telephone poles.

if the house is in the middle of a moor, buy a mobile

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back