Can't find any planning advice/guidance building new home in garden in very rural area.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I live in the East Devon area of outstanding natural beauty in a rural semi detached house which is well outside (1 mile) any village/settlement/built up area.

I'm interested in if I could split my relatively large garden and get planning for a new build.

I'm struggling to find any advice on the planning rules for my area/council. I fall outside of any village plans or any of the other specific planning advice I can find. I guess I'm interested in some general rural / AONB advice / planning rules but can't find any.

Any advice?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Doubt there will any specific policies contemplating permission because of out of village location, the general "high level" policies are more likely to contain a presumption against development outside the village envelope unless you prove some special justification.

This would be a starting point for looking for the relevant planning policies.

http://eastdevon.gov.uk/planning/pl...her-organisations/devon-county-council-plans/

Blup

You need to look at the policies of whoever is the planning authority for the area. If it's not the local council, then the AONB may have a specific planning authority. General policies or anyone else's policies will be irrelevant and just confuse you. You need the actual policies that will apply.

I find that bribery or blackmail works well in such circumstances. Brown envelopes stuffed full of used banknotes, usually within a 15% budget of the £profit you hope to make.

Are you a Freemason? They will have a very helpful guide at your local Lodge.

Sponsored Links
I find that bribery or blackmail works well in such circumstances. Brown envelopes stuffed full of used banknotes, usually within a 15% budget of the £profit you hope to make.

Are you a Freemason? They will have a very helpful guide at your local Lodge.
o_O

Your chances of getting a new-build house in that location are about the same as us Brexiters getting a proper, no-frills, 100% Brexit.

Thanks for the advice all. I'll try again finds specific planning guidance but my gut is with @tony1851 on this one.

Have you tried going in to your local planning office and asking them ? They should be able to point you in the right direction for any guidelines that are published for your area even if they won't give advice free of charge for your specific plot.

Thanks @Leofric I've tried emailing. I think I made it clear I just needed a pointer to the relevant planning policies but just got back:

I refer to your recent enquiry regarding planning advice.

Unfortunately we are no longer able to offer such advice for free.

You will need to submit your request in writing, via email or using our planning website site http://eastdevon.gov.uk/planning . In return we will send you a letter offering an officers opinion as to whether planning permission is or is not required.

The charge for this service is £40 (which includes VAT). this fee can be paid via the online system using the link below, by card over the telephone - or by sending a cheque to Householder Planning at East Devon District Council (made payable to East Devon District Council).

http://eastdevon.gov.uk/planning/planning-payments
Which didn't feel like it helped me much.

You could put in an FoI application referring to the general kind of planning policies you want to see, they will be obliged to send you them or say where they appear on their website or other publication.

Blup

Well, the planning department's response was a waste of time. Everybody knows you will need planning permission so you don't need to pay them anything for that ' advice '.

As Tony said, back garden building plot in AOB outside the village envelope, you haven't got a snowballs chance in hell.

Even if you did submit an "advice request" all you will get is a letter saying it would be unlikely to be approved, so save yourself £40.

If you really are determined to pursue this I would go straight to a good local planning consultant. An initial consultation might cost around £100 but you would probably get a more realistic answer.

'If you really are determined to pursue this I would go straight to a good local planning consultant. An initial consultation might cost around £100 but you would probably get a more realistic answer. ' - and I bet you won't get much from a planning consultant for £100 !

'If you really are determined to pursue this I would go straight to a good local planning consultant. An initial consultation might cost around £100 but you would probably get a more realistic answer. ' - and I bet you won't get much from a planning consultant for £100 !

I don't see why not, an initial consultation would be a 30 minute meeting where they suck air through their teeth and either say "could be worth a punt" or "you've got a snowballs chance in hell". Either way it will be a lot more productive than trying to talk to the local planning department.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back