Planning permission advice

22 Jul 2017
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I'm trying to figure out what approach to take with a pre-application for planning. The plot we have has the smaller area that is inside the settlement boundary and the larger section outside the settlement boundary (current use is garden with greenhouse and a paddock)

Would it be possible to get planning for a house that was inside the boundary but had the back garden outside the settlement boundary? Or to have a house that has a very small back garden with the option of owning some of the paddock as the real back garden?

On a side note, the settlement boundary was updated recently but does not include some houses that were build in the 70's-80's. Why would they not update it to include these houses?

Many thanks for any advice,

Sponsored Links
Don't see why not, there is nothing to say a paddock can't have manicured lawns and flower beds and it would probably be able to be classed as amenity space for the property. the only issue may be if they deem that it isn't and that the small back garden isn't sufficient amenity space for the size of the house.

On the second subject, it could be to prevent further development of the settlement in that area. Though a decent planning consultant could probably argue that it was a settlement anyway regardless of it's official designation.

Are you planning to build on designated land in a sensitive area such as a National Park, SSSI or AONB?
Thanks for the reply! No the planning area is just in a hamlet with the only quirk being the majority of the land is outside the boundaries, so it would still be possible to get some planning for a smaller number of houses but they would have smaller gardens.
Sponsored Links
No. The term is a planning unit, and use of the unit is what matters.

Both a house and it's garden are the same single unit, and the land the house sits on is the same land as the garden around it.

You can own the paddock, probably sit in it on a nice sunny day, but use of it for your shed, patio, bbq and such like would not be permitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local