Can't find product? (Stair treads) Please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to find a place to buy stair treads on their own. I don't need the risers, the string or any of the railing/balustrades...

But I can't seem to find anywhere that sells them.

Wickes, B&Q and Screwfix all sell the parts I don't need or entire staircases, which I also don't need.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions on where to buy them or of an alternative material I could use...

Basically, I want to do this http://www.urbanejane.com/2013/01/a-staircase-face-lift-before-sorta-after.html?m=1

Cheers![/url]

Sponsored Links
Stair treads are housed into the strings, and also need to be individually cut to the correct depth. You will be hard-pushed to find them as single items.

Stair treads are housed into the strings, and also need to be individually cut to the correct depth. You will be hard-pushed to find them as single items.

Thanks for the reply.

Rhetorical question: why is DIY so ruddy difficult in the UK? (As compared with the US where these things you could probably find at Wal*Mart... I do understand that a lot of the issue lies around the fact that we are but just a small island and don't have the space to store/sell all of the things I would like to see available. Sigh.)

You wouldn't happen to have any idea of a decent replacement?

MDF? (If MDF is "medium density", can you buy HDF?)

In any event, thanks again!

Rhetorical answer;
Many people in this country don't know one end of a hammer from the other, and would sooner pay someone to do a job rather than get off their b*tts and learn how to do it themselves.
Maybe Americans have a more self-sufficient attitude from the old wild west days?

HDF is made, but not sure if it's available in the stores. It's usually made as a core for other products such as kitchen unit panels etc.

Sponsored Links
All they have done is got a Standard Stair tread, stained and varnished it then fixed it on top of their existing stairs .

You should also note that on the Picture of the completed stairs (think it was Pic 10) that the top stair does not have the same treatment as the others for obvious reasons so it not only looks odd but as you go up and down the stairs you will feel the difference. you will also notice the difference from the floor to the first step

I have done this several times in the past against my better judgement and have been back to all of them to replace them for a much thinner 6mm stair protector .

However if you are talking replacing the treads then that is a major job and will cost silly money and would in all probability be cheaper to buy and fit another staircase assuming that we are talking just a straight forward 12 - 13 straight flight of stairs

HDF Vs. MDF

yes you can get HDF if you look hard enough but it costs considerably more, Its main advantage over MDF is its resistance to moisture and mould

I'm trying to find a place to buy stair treads on their own. I don't need the risers, the string or any of the railing/balustrades...

But I can't seem to find anywhere that sells them.

Wickes, B&Q and Screwfix all sell the parts I don't need or entire staircases, which I also don't need.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions on where to buy them or of an alternative material I could use...

Basically, I want to do this http://www.urbanejane.com/2013/01/a-staircase-face-lift-before-sorta-after.html?m=1

Cheers![/url]

Google for "Oak window boards". These have a bullnose and would probably do the job.

Cheers
Richard

All they have done is got a Standard Stair tread, stained and varnished it then fixed it on top of their existing stairs . ...

I have done this several times in the past against my better judgement and have been back to all of them to replace them for a much thinner 6mm stair protector .

Thank you. I understand that's what the blogger has done. My issue is that I cannot find them to purchase.

It is a simple 13-riser staircase and we'd rather not have to replace it. It's not due to cost, it's due to not being confident in our abilities to make the new one structurally sound, if that makes sense.

Where would I find a "6mm stair protector"?

Cheers!

If memory serves the Last One I did was 3 1/2 years ago and was in Cherry
I made mine from veneered Ply and some solid timber for the lipping/nosing.

Any Joinery shop near you would be able to as well .

15 steps and two landings , took 2 days to fit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back