expanding stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently I exposed our staircase by taking down the boarding surrounding it with the intention of putting on a banister/spindles etc. It is a closed string staircase and, although supported at both ends, the strings have since started to move apart slightly so that now a few of the treads/risers have come loose and fallen through. I have made emergency repairs to support the treads but cannot find a way to bring the strings back together to allow them to be fixed in place - however much banging and swearing. One string is against the wall so that rules out sash cramps but is there any iron mongery on the market that I can fix under the treads and between the strings to stop any more movement/bring it all back together? Help needed asap befor our plumber falls through them again!
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Blimey ,that`s a strange one :eek: .I stopped my stairs from bouncing by injecting some resin (from a resinanchor system) into the gap between the string and the wall under...But that don`t help You :( SO , With yours I`d get some big eyebolts..screw one into wall under stairs..another into the bowing stringer..opposite each other..Then get some strong wire and ....a fence straining shackle( not shure if that`s what it`s called)..basically you turn it and it pulls in @ each end...so you pull the stringer towards the wall. :) Just wish I knew how to post drawings :( Hope this gives you an idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back