Can't fit dimmer switch as screw holes in metal box obstructing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a dimmer switch. When I tried to put it in, it would not go in, as the screw holes at the TOP and BOTTOM are obstructing it.

I noticed my metal box has screw holes on all 4 sides. Even new ones from B&Q were the same.

Do people bend back the unwanted screw holes? I tried to do it on a new metal box, but the metal was pretty though.

Sponsored Links
You don't always need to snap them off fully, they will probably push back into the void they were punched out from

Sponsored Links
All of the ones we seem to fit have 4 lugs. Seems to not matter what wholesaler they come from, most all of them are 4 lug.

Plasterers usually slap so much wet on it doesn't really matter, the lugs are often 10mm shy of the finished wall level anyway

Could be worse. I knew someone once whose plasterer completely filled in all of the boxes in an extension being built.

He was fortunate, timing wise, to be able to see the rectangular patches which didn't dry as quickly as the rest of the walls...

All of the ones we seem to fit have 4 lugs. Seems to not matter what wholesaler they come from, most all of them are 4 lug.
Indeed, I've been with my current employer for over 10 years now, and we have always had 4 lug single boxes. We mostly use Appleby. An old slotted screwdriver and a tap with a hammer is how I get them out of the way.

I may be going mad, but I seem to recall one reason for 4 lugs on the single box was because one face had a 25mm knockout, though not sure if thats still the case

Well, that may be the case with a 35mm box (it is) but you won't get a 25mm knockout in a 25mm box....

We use 35mm for HDMI with brush plates, purely because an HDMI plug won't fit through a 20mm knockout (n)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back