can't get hot water and heating to work again, please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am having problems in getting my system up and running again. I had to drain it and experienced problems refilling it, all of which I think I have solved. Water flows into the entire system from the header fine, all radiators bleed fine regardless of which radiator valve is open, so water is moving around. It has a new water pump which is working, the valve for the hot water is working. After refilling yesterday no heat is getting beyond the pump and I can't work out what is wrong. I'd appreciate an idea or two to explore as I'm pulling my hair out.

The system is vented, it is a baxi bermuda boiler feeding straight to a pump, the hot water cistern is a floor above with a single valve, there are three radiators upstairs and 5 downstairs, the system had cleaner run through it and drains clean now, most radiator connections have had mains pressure water connected to them to ensure they are clear. I can't think what else I can try?

Sponsored Links
Try venting the pump , undo the screw in the centre , other than that its air locked.

Thanks for the input, I have bled the pump though and refilled the system several times. Maybe I am refilling and bleeding it wrong? just doing it the way I have always done it and it used to work out fine

You need to bleed it at the highest point , check theres water actually in the system , check you cold feed to the system where it tees in isnt blocked with a magnet .

Sponsored Links
You say the pump is working... Is it definitely spinning? Don't take a vibration of the pump as working, it may have seized? Have u removed the front screw to prove it's actually spinning?

check the pumps spinning like mentioned & ensure the speed selector is on 3 . Is the boiler kettling / overheating . Have you opened the gate valves back up

Murf: The system bleeds air at the highest point which is two valves above the hot water tank. This cold feed Tee that everyone mentions as a source of problems I don't actually know how to identify!

brassedoff: The pump is working, its brand new, I had the same problem with the original pump but I replaced it as a previous owner had botched the power settings switch and I got a 240 hit checking the pump was spinning

Gaspro: the valve that returns water to the boiler has one inlet and one outlet, (22mm) it works on manual at least. There is a second valve by the hot water tank that is connected to a thermostat strapped to the tank that I know is working as electrically heating the tank closes the valve when it is powered up

Murf: I am running it on 3 but also tried the other settings. It kettled once last week, I had turned off all the radiators and had the boiler on full, it erupted into the header tank. I don't know what the gate valve is

Cold feed tee is the point where the pipe from the bottom of the header tank (which fills your heating system) ties into the system pipework. Ideally found after boiler and open vent pipe, and before the pump.
It may also be found joining into your hw cylinder pipes.
Its usually 15mm and is a common place for a blockage.

You say air is venting from highest point? I may be reading it wrong but if air is coming out and not water, then it isn't filled with water yet.

Thanks brassedoff, it is behind plasterboard I think that pipe as is the vent pipe. but I can remove it I suppose.. the whole system fills fine from the header tank though so wouldn't that mean the pipe is clear? Sorry for not explaining myself properly, it bleeds air, then water

I wouldn't go tearing down plasterboard just yet, if its filling up ok.
I dunno... double check there are no gate valves shut that should be open (wheel turned valve) the rads valves and lock shields are open, the heating and water zone valves are both open.
Try a combination of heating on alone, water alone etc.

Long shot but is there a roomstat? Is it calling for heat?
Is the immersion on? Causing the water zone valve not to open due to water already hot?

Good luck anyway.

There are several ways to over come this but the safest way for you is to turn the boiler and timeclock off and engage the lever on the 3 port actuator into the mid position
Then attach a hose pipe between a drain off cock and the water main somewhere and back fill the system the pressure from the mains water should push all the air back up into the f&e tank
Take your time don't rush and keep a constant check on the f&e tank as you don't want this over filling

Brassedoff, there is no room thermostat, I think I have found the cold water feed, it connects just after the valve and feeds straight to the boiler, does that sound right? there is an identical one just before the valve too though, anyway I'm removing the valve to scratch around with a bit of wire. If the water isn't on there is not central heating in the way this is set up, don't know if that is right or not but that is how it is

Gaspro, I have just connected a hose to the drain off and going to fill it like that one I have the valve back on. Mid point on the valve? it just has manual (with a retention hook) and auto on the lever

The lever on a 3port valve should be latched in the mid position during filling making sure there is access for the water to enter both HW and CH circuits.
After filling the lever should be unlatched.
Only it has not been confirmed that there is a 3port valve.
I doubt if there is one considering there is no room stat.

Well gents thanks very much for your help. I tried the fill from the drain (had to replace the cock first otherwise I'd have flooded the house with the old one) and then bled the air out of the system. I now have hot water and all upstairs radiators are working. I hope an attempt at balancing them will bring the downstairs ones into operation, bit too hopeful?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back