Cant get stump out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So before reading tips on how to get a stump out, (i.e. use trunk as leverage), i sawed down a prunus shrub that was 6ft high with a 6ft spread.

Now i cant get the bastard thing out of the ground as i cant get a spade underneath, ive been trying to rip every root out bit by bit but its an absolute nightmare. Theres 2 of them, can i just saw it as low as possible and then cover it with slate and membrane or will it try to grow again?

Sponsored Links
The proper tool for the job is a grubbing mattock - with Popeye arms, of course!
John :)
This tool sounds like its good for cutting the roots but the stump itself is a lot thicker than the roots and plus i would have to dig underneath the stump to be able to prise it up surely?

Yup, a Mattock to break it all loose, a shovel and trowel and an axe... loss of leverage is quite a problem though! You can start getting clever with beams and hydraulic jacks if you can get some large eye bolt in, or similar

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
Done quite a lot of this recently in my garden project. Only thing you need is a mattock and a spade. Keep digging right around the stump with the mattock, breaking the roots you expose as you do. Use the spade to clear the soil once loose. Keep going until you can almost get right under the stump.

I have got out several 6 inch stumps this way, takes about 30 mins each usually. If you get unlucky and there's a big root going straight down it can be a bit longer.

So could i just hit the stump from the top and split it halfway, then keep hacking at it bit by bit til it gets to the bottom of the stump then just disconnect the roots from it? Or is it best to hack around the stump? Because hacking around the stump will mean i have to make a mess of all the gravel around it

Scrape all the gravel back. You need to dig around and under with a mattock to get it out.

Okay guys fair enough, can i dig close to the stump or do i have to be a fair bit away? As long as i mattock around it does it matter how close? All im doing is disconnecting the roots surely?

I removed a stump at home (cob nut/hazelnut) that had been grown over a rubble pit and the roots were entangled with debris.

This was pre power washers and I made a high pressure nozzle to allow me to wash out the soil so I could access the roots. The hole filled up quickly with water but drained overnight but it was slow.

Look up "farm jacks" as they seem very powerful for the money

Could i save myself all the hassle and just cover the stump with gravel or will it grow back?

You could always drill into the stump and pour in some stump killer. Then cover it over. It will never grow back then.

Next door had a large stump removed a few years back and all the guy said was drill alot of 10mm holes as deep as you can and fill them full of creosote. Keep treating the stump periodically which should kill the root. It shouldn't break up easier and not grow back

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back