Can't get the trap tightened to waste!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Back again to ask ya more silly questions.

The grey waste is 32mm and the trap is 32mm but when tightened the trap slides straight off thus I have a leak here.

In the picture you see I've added a straight coupler but the same result is had when I use the trap. The straight coupler is required as I fell a bit short in reaching the grey waste.

Thinking it was the rubber seal I went and purchased another trap and still the same.

I know it's something I'm doing wrong - but what?

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

Sponsored Links
Do you mean you can't tighten on to that stub. If so, I think the problem is that it is too short. Assuming that the but nut is as far back as it will go.
If you cannot make that part any longer youb may have to chase the wall to slide the but further back

Do you mean you can't tighten on to that stub. If so, I think the problem is that it is too short. Assuming that the but nut is as far back as it will go.
If you cannot make that part any longer youb may have to chase the wall to slide the but further back

It seems to be fine with regards to length as the coupler or P Trap can fit on the stub, as you call it, and get right home with pipe to spare. It's just that even when it's all tightened the trap or coupler just slides right off!

How can I make that stub longer? I assume it's pulling it out of the wall from the outside?

That straight coupler is not for pipe/pipe it looks like the end visible goes onto a thread like the waste that comes out the basin . i,e the same as the top of the trap does.

Sponsored Links
IMG_0269.JPG
That straight coupler is not for pipe/pipe it looks like the end visible goes onto a thread like the waste that comes out the basin . i,e the same as the top of the trap does.

Yes I've just discovered that mate

I need to extend that grey drain pipe which can be easily done as I can reach outside and pull it through the wall and replace.

Can anyone tell me how I disconnect this?

They are push fittings.....can you twist the pipe whilst holding the elbow?
P.S consider solvent weld for the new stuff!
John :)

They are push fittings.....can you twist the pipe whilst holding the elbow?
P.S consider solvent weld for the new stuff!

Hi John, jobs a goodun. Pipe came straight out.

I've read that solvent welds are a far better job but for simplistity is it not just easier for me to push a new piece of pipe into that elbow?

Is that grey pipe going to a drain?
If so, why not just replace it all?

This might be too obvious, and the pic does not offer scale, but are you trying to connect 1 1/2" to a 1 1\4"

I've found before that all push fit wastes aren't compatible with all makes - though theoretically they should be!
Solvent weld isn't affected by UV light like polythene stuff.....I've had some which became eggshell thin in 6 years :eek:

Is that grey pipe going to a drain?
If so, why not just replace it all?

This might be too obvious, and the pic does not offer scale, but are you trying to connect 1 1/2" to a 1 1\4"

The grey pipe is 1 1/4". I just pulled it out of the elbow in the pic above from outside. Surely it's a case of just replacing that piece of pipe?

image.jpg

Sure, go for it! Just check the rubber ring inside the elbow is still there and the new pipe is a snug fit.

Yes, but presumably the trap is the same size?
The photo of the fitting looks bigger but is difficult to be sure as no sense of scale.
Are you fitting the trap to a basin or a sink?

Yes, but presumably the trap is the same size?
The photo of the fitting looks bigger but is difficult to be sure as no sense of scale.
Are you fitting the trap to a basin or a sink?

Basin. The trap is 32mm. I had originally been trying to connect a coupler to the 1 1/4" waste pipe then the trap to it. It then dawned on me that that coupler wasn't fitting because it isn't designed to be connected straight to pipe in that way l, as was said earlier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back