can't secure waste into compression fit kitchen sink trap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to fit a 40mm FloPlast waste pipe to a 40mm FloPlast compression fit sink trap but can't get it to securely hold.

I put the rubber olive/washer onto the pipe, bevelled edge facing the fitting, insert the pipe and tighten the nut. All looks good, but the pipe can just be pulled out of the trap by hand, it offers hardly any resistance.

I'm new to this so any tips very gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
You may be worrying too much. Sometimes it isn't that hard to pull the connections apart even when they've been perfectly watertight.

Provided the pipe is seated as far as it will go into the fitting and the tapered end of the rubber seal is facing the fitting you should get a good seal when the nut is hand tight.

The pipework should be held in place with clamps where possible to prevent any accidental separation.

Some traps have a plastic washer between the cone washer and nut! McAlpine have them without them the waste pipe just pulls out easily! They go missing from the packs very often in my local plumbers merchants!

Sponsored Links
thanks both responses. I think you're right, I was being too cautious. I fitted it on Friday and no leaks so far.
cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back