Can't turn hot tap all the way on, no water coming out...

awm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my hot tap in my bath has been working fine since I've lived in this flat for the past 12 months but today, all of a sudden it won't fully turn on, it turns a little bit and then seems to get stuck, then no water comes out of the tap.

All of the other taps in the flat work (hot and cold), including the cold one on the same bath.

I've attached an image of the tap itself, I've taken the top of it off and unscrewed the inside cover. What could it be, what do you guys suggest I do?

Thanks!

Alex

Sponsored Links
The barrel inside needs stripped and greased.

Or replace with new tap revivers.

Al

Turn water off and drain water remove tap heads.
Remove cartridge and grease with silicon grease.
If this doesn't work new cartridges required.

Sponsored Links
Turn off water take out cartridge, you will find that the part with the washer on has a hexagonal shaft on it which should go into a hexagonal hole, I would guess that the shaft has come out of its hole, due to wear on the tap washer.

On the shaft where the tap head goes you will find a clip of some sort (different makes have different types) which will stop the shaft being pushed out of the body.

Remove this clip, push out the shaft. Clean all the muck off the shaft being careful of the O rings. Apply silicon grease to the shaft and the thread on the end, screw the shaft to the onto the part with the washer (left hand thread).

Push the shaft and part with washer back into body engaging the hex shaft with the hole correctly, replace the clip on to the shaft.

Fit new rubber washer, replace tap head, turn on water, turn on tap, have hot bath,

David.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBF
Great, thanks for all of your help!

How do I get the tap head apart? I've gone as far as I can, unscrewing the top but as you can see in the photo, there's no more screws, what do I do next? Do I need a particular tool?

Thanks again,

Alex

Just pull the knobs upwards and off the spindle. May need to prise them from underneath. Doesn't really matter if you damage them as new knobs come with the kits.

Okay, I just tried but it's going to really need some force, I guess there's no easy way of doing this?

A bit of brute force, if you can get a large thin spanner under the knob you can lever the knob off. Otherwise as long as you have replacements ready smash the knob by crushing it, with water pump pliers, they can get stuck on the splines quite firmly.

Just keep tapping it upwards from all angles with a spanner. It'll shift after a while.

Well I've forced it a bit and turns out it's now working!!! Probably because tampering with it has adjusted something....I'm guessing it wont last though, so I'm going to order those new tap heads and eventually I'll have to break the old tap head off I suppose.

If that adds anything to your thoughts about the problem, do let me know.

Thanks for all of your help!

Alex

Sounds like you were lucky, renovation taps they are called, you can get 1/4 turn lever washer type, or ordinary knob type. If you have on open vented system don't get ceramic ones, they are for sealed systems.

Take off taps and throw in Skip, buy some elbow grease and clean bath/tiles before renewing taps.

Now, the cold tap on the sink has done exactly the same thing! Would there be any reason why both taps might go at the same time?

Any idea's anyone? Luckily I've ordered the tap head set, so I have one hot, one cold to fit but it just seems strange to me that both taps have done the same thing at the same time.

Either than or a massive coincidence.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back