Can't unscrew Intaklean 2 filter lid

JBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a boiler that came with an Intaklean 2 magnetic filter.
No problems, except I can't unscrew the lid. I'm told that Intaklean claim that the lid is to be fitted only finger tight, but this one certainly isn't. I can't budge it and I don't have any tools that will stretch that wide.

I have been trying to find a wrench/spanner to fit and have looked all over the internet. Its seems that Intaklean don't actually supply one!

My question is, can a similar tool made by other manufacturers, Magnaclean for example, fit my filter?

Many thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
A rubber strap wrench (boa constrictor) will loosen the lid.

One thing to remember,the O ring seal in the lid may leak water after reassembly :cautious:

A rubber strap wrench (boa constrictor) will loosen the lid.

One thing to remember,the O ring seal in the lid may leak water after reassembly :cautious:
Thanks.
We tried a kitchen wrench (the type for opening bottle tops and jar lids). It snapped!

Thanks.
We tried a kitchen wrench (the type for opening bottle tops and jar lids). It snapped!
Make sure you (or a colleague) holds the body to resist the force, don't apply it to the pipework as it might buckle and you'll have a bigger problem. When you do get it off, smear the O-ring with silicone grease before refitting.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the helpful advice, fellas, but what I'd really like to know is whether the Magnaclean key, which I know exists, or any other brand will fit mine.

Possibly the sh**est filter ever made, although there are a few contenders. The lids aren't designed to be removed, you're supposed to shut off the valves (which may or may not work), remove the magnet and open the drain port. If you do manage to get the lid off, it'll almost certainly leak everywhere when you put it back on again

Possibly the sh**est filter ever made, although there are a few contenders. The lids aren't designed to be removed, you're supposed to shut off the valves (which may or may not work), remove the magnet and open the drain port. If you do manage to get the lid off, it'll almost certainly leak everywhere when you put it back on again

Actually, the engineer who serviced our boiler didn't have a key to open the lid (I know why now!) but has come back to open it with a large wrench. He struggled, but eventually removed it.
Removing the magnet is easy. When he removed it there was nothing on it as it is surrounded by a mesh which cannot be removed without opening the lid. That, of course, was covered in black gunge which he assured me was pretty normal for two years' use.
The lid is back on, and I'm happy to say that there are no leaks.

I have similar problem. Changed some rads for a friend and their system is full of muck! Added Fernox cleaner, but still can't get the filter lid off.
Every other filter of this type I've come accross comes with a castellated ring wrench. Seems a bit mean not to supply one.
Contacted Intatec but they just say use an adjustable spanner! Clearly they've never tried it themselves!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back