Capped 15mm gas pipe stub, in a strange location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've spent a bit of time in our understair cupboard over recent weeks. I'm out of closet now :eek:

The entire house had a total, back to brick, refurb in the mid 80's, including all pipework. At the back of the cupboard, is an outside wall, a cavity, then the outer wall, which includes gas and electric meter cupboards, alongside my drive. Feeding all the gas appliances in the house, is a 22mm copper, going straight down from the meter, it then shoots at right angles to the wall, to cut across the cupboard. A small section, of the 22mm bend, is visible, just as it begins the cut under the concrete floor, of the cupboard. Other than that, it is buried in the wall, or the concrete. In the 22mm pipe, between meter and the bend into the concrete - there is a short stub of 15mm pipe, with a soldered on cap. Obviously a 22mm T, with 15mm.

Has anyone got any idea why this stub of 15mm pipe might have been put there?

Sponsored Links
Maybe to a gas heater in another room

Maybe to a gas heater in another room

That makes no sense, it's just a stub, poking out of the plastered wall, under the stairs. The main 22mm, goes on to feed the living room fire, then the kitchen oven, kitchen CH boiler, then finally another capped stub, in the kitchen, for 'something else' (maybe a gas fridge). What gas appliance, might anyone possibly want to install, in an understairs cupboard?

Maybe there was a wall heater, or maybe it was capped feeding a previous appliance that then needed a larger pipe?

Sponsored Links
Maybe there was a wall heater, or maybe it was capped feeding a previous appliance that then needed a larger pipe?

No, it has never, ever fed anything at all, there have never been any changes to the pipe installation since it was all installed.

No reason for a gas wall heater, certainly not in a cupboard, because CH was installed at the very same time.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
That makes no sense, it's just a stub, poking out of the plastered wall, under the stairs. The main 22mm, goes on to feed the living room fire, then the kitchen oven, kitchen CH boiler, then finally another capped stub, in the kitchen, for 'something else' (maybe a gas fridge). What gas appliance, might anyone possibly want to install, in an understairs cupboard?
Maybe that was the only fitting the installer had at the time to join two lengths of copper.

How old is the house, meter was possibly there originally?

1955, but absolutely everything was ripped out in 1985, for a total, back to bare brick, refurb. Both meters were relocated, from inside, to outside wall meter cupboards, new main feeds, all new pipe work.

Maybe that was the only fitting the installer had at the time to join two lengths of copper.

No, it was a well planned and laid out job, involving the refurb of several houses. There would be no shortage of components to do the job properly...

I was just thinking along the lines of the stub of pipe being there, for some special purpose to do with gas/not for an appliance, but which was not obvious to me.

If the OP keeps shooting down in flames every explanation offered, then there seems little point in replying any further!

If the OP keeps shooting down in flames every explanation offered, then there seems little point in replying any further!

I am genuinely trying to find an explanation why a Corgi (at the time) gas installer, might have put a capped off T in such a very strange location. The 'shooting down', is a matter of the suggested reasons seem not to fit the circumstances. A picture will not help, it is just a stub of 15mm capped off, poking out of a plastered wall, and it obviously T's into the main 22mm supply pipe.

To be honest - many years ago, I built a shoes rack against the wall, which completely hid the stub. I rediscovered it on removing the rack temporarily, in the process of fitting a new consumer unit. Shoe rack is now back in place, once again hiding the stub.

As explained - I am just curious as to why anyone might specify the need for an outlet in such a very strange location? There is another similar capped off stub, hidden behind one of our kitchen units, but the purpose of that is more obvious - a connection point, to add a gas fridge. Gas fridges, I understand, were more common back then, though we never had one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back