capped off cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i had a landlords certicate done on my flat. the gas guy capped of the cooker because he said the oven flame safety device was faulty. he said the flame should go to low rate then high rate then switch off the oven and the flame should go to low rate again. but mine went straight to high flame and thus he capped it off! is this right???how is that dangerous? he didnt ereally explain it to me to be honest. thank you

Sponsored Links
If you are saying the oven flame went to high flame when first lit then yes it indicates defective flame failure device.

i had a landlords certicate done on my flat. the gas guy capped of the cooker because he said the oven flame safety device was faulty. he said the flame should go to low rate then high rate then switch off the oven and the flame should go to low rate again. but mine went straight to high flame and thus he capped it off! is this right???how is that dangerous? he didnt ereally explain it to me to be honest. thank you

Were you there when he carried out the tests?

There are certain time parameters involved with how long it should take to come to full flame after switching on, then leaving it off before trying to turn it back on again to test.

It sounds to me that if it came on first time ok and only failed when it was turned off again, that he may not have carried out the test correctly :confused:

Sponsored Links
All depends which cooker you have as some DO light on main flame then drop down when oven stat starts to work.
But hopefully he would not mistake something this basic

he lighted the oven it was small flame then the flame got bigger. he shutt it off wanited about minute then fired the oven again and it went immediately to a high flame so he capped it . how is this dangerous?? can u explain??

he lighted the oven it was small flame then the flame got bigger. he shutt it off wanited about minute then fired the oven again and it went immediately to a high flame so he capped it . how is this dangerous?? can u explain??

Sounds correct to me. It should not be lighting on full gas after 60 secs.

By your further discription you have a standard cooker with a standard ffd. The rule is 60 secs aND OVEN FFD must drop out .
The ovens with t/couples light on main gas.

FFD is a safety device and should shut down to bypass rate , which in a fault condition or if someone forgot to light gas would still pass gas it doesnt pass anywhere near as much gas as a burner passing gas at full rate.
All to do with what would happen if couple of possible things happen at same time and consequences of this

ok thanks. also last year a chap cut of my tenants cooker because the lid didnt shut the gas off when folded down? but again why cap it off??? a)most cookers dont have a lid so gas can flow out if the knob is accidentally turned on and b)alot of cookers the lid doesnt shut off the gas anyway as its only there for cosmetic reasons? getting electric cooker!!! so again why cap it off. what the big deal with this lid ???thank you

if a safety device is fitted then it has to be working correctly to be given a clean bill of health. If the manufacturer does not fit something to their appliance it must be deemed safe (providing its got BS, EN or whatever approval)

alot of cookers the lid doesnt shut off the gas anyway as its only there for cosmetic reasons? getting electric cooker!!! so again why cap it off. what the big deal with this lid ???
Regulations require that any cooker with a lid is fitted with an automatic device to cut the gas supply when the lid is lowered. It is NOT to do with gas leakage it is because if you apply heat under a glass lid the glass has a habit of shattering with some force.

Personal injury, in the form of galss embedded in skin is the result.

If the lid fails to shut off gas it is DANGEROUS and MUST be disconnected.

Tennants in return for their rent are entitled to a safe enviroment. That is the purpose of an inspection to make a safe enviroment, as far as gas appliances, are concerned.

alot of cookers the lid doesnt shut off the gas anyway as its only there for cosmetic reasons? getting electric cooker!!! so again why cap it off. what the big deal with this lid ???
Regulations require that any cooker with a lid is fitted with an automatic device to cut the gas supply when the lid is lowered. It is NOT to do with gas leakage it is because if you apply heat under a glass lid the glass has a habit of shattering with some force.

Personal injury, in the form of galss embedded in skin is the result.

If the lid fails to shut off gas it is DANGEROUS and MUST be disconnected.

Tennants in return for their rent are entitled to a safe enviroment. That is the purpose of an inspection to make a safe enviroment, as far as gas appliances, are concerned.

NOT If the lid is metal it don't.

There used to be a video about that showed what happened when the gas stayed on with lid shut also when they first came out and a few from continent did not have any safety valve on them.
Basically if someone was in the room they would be lucky to live and would be cut to mincemeat. Seen a room once after it happened and the glass was embedded several inches into breeze block walls

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back