Capped pipe in floor - can it be left?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm about to build a stud wall around a chimney breast to create a kind of media wall. Right next to the chimney breast there is a short pipe sticking out the floor that has been capped.
I suspect it's a gas pipe for the old fireplace that was there years ago.

My question is: can I simply build the stud wall around this pipe (essentially boxing it in behind the new wall), or would a gas engineer need access to it in the future?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Gas pipes aren't allowed to be boxed in now without vents.

Ideally though the pipe should be cut back as close to the main supply as possible, that'll minimise the chances of issue in the future.

Gas pipes aren't allowed to be boxed in now without vents.

Ideally though the pipe should be cut back as close to the main supply as possible, that'll minimise the chances of issue in the future.

Thanks for the reply. If the pipe isn't enclosed fully behind the new stud wall, can I create a kind of "cut out" where the pipe is?
I added a picture of the pipe and another of what I mean by the "cut out"

4831a960-f865-4381-bcd8-1f6e92ceb8f4.jpeg

Screenshot 2024-03-29 185325.png

I am not a gas fitter but boxing in like that will be a nightmare if access is needed.

At work we have a new building and some **** did something similar (only with sewage)
If it floods we have to demolish to get to a leak.

If a gas fitter needs access they need space - make a bigger “hole” and use magnets or similar to hod a cover on.
maybe a vent?

Sponsored Links
1. As Madrab says. the correct approach is to trace it back as far as possible, cut it and re-cap it there. Likely to be where it "tees" into another pipe (replace tee with straight coupler), or possible right back to the meter.
2. If you could find a gas engineer with the necessary equipment (correct tap / die and tap wrench / die holder) you could have the pipe cut below the floor and recapped or plugged with a screwed fitting.
3. Either way, it would have to be someone properly Gas Safe registered.

Thanks for the replies.

If I decide to leave the pipe where it is and build the stud wall so it's next to the pipe, where would it most likely be routed?
Would it run to the closest wall, along the bottom of the wall and off to wherever next, or possibly along the whole length of the lounge?

I ask because I don't fancy screwing into the pipe with the fixings that will hold the bottom plate in.

If there's joists in the floor then I'll be able to see where the pipe is, but if it's concrete I won't and I don't trust the "wall scanner" devices.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back