capping a pipe

ogc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
whats the prcedure for capping a pipe and what do i need to do it

i want to remove the bath but also have to take up the floor so i want to be able to use the other water sources in the house.

any help appreciated

cheers

Sponsored Links
No procedure really, turn the water off drain the pipe down cut it cap it,

there are three types of cap solder compression or push fit.

Only one thing to bear in mind, if you are capping the pipe permanently make sure you cut the pipe as close to the start of that leg, so that the water left in that section does not stagnate and give you strange diseases.

Switch off the boiler, immersion heaters etc.

Close off supply feeding taps if you have one, or turn off water supply and drain down system.

Open up bath taps to drain any residual water left in pipes.

Place tray under pipe in position you wish to cut to catch last remaining water - you'll be suprised at how much can be lingering in a pipe!

Preferably use a kopex cutter to cut the pipe (neater cleaner cut than a hacksaw - quicker too).

Use a compression fitting stop end to cap off the pipe. Should be 22mm (but be warned maybe old imperial size 3/4" I think?

When you have placed the olive over the pipe (looks like a wedding ring) wrap PTFE tape around the olive a couple of times (you shouldn't have to do this but believe me it saves a lot of hassle!)

Do not overtighten the compression nut! This will distort the pipe and or olive, then you will have to cut off and start again.

Solder joints are obviously better than compression fittings, but require more tools and take time to perfect. Also, very difficult with any water left in the pipe!

Hope that helps...

Sponsored Links
I find that if your pipes have paint on them or other crud, polish the pipe to shiny metal with sandpaper before cutting it. You get a lovely luster from the copper. :D Wash off all the grit, then cut the pipe and fit your cap. You will find your compression fitting less likely to leak as there is no paint affecting the seal.

If you want to use the pipes again at some point, put isolating valves on them instead of caps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back