Removing / Capping Old Boiler Pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Newbie here. Im in the process of refurbishing my bathroom and removing old bath and replacing with walk in shower etc.

Ive attached a photo of old pipes that were attached to the old electric boiler and also fed the old shower (the 2 vertical pipes left and right).

I would like to cap off the pipes pictured under the floor but no idea what each do and if safe to cap off. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Stu

Attachments

• 20170612_211053.jpg
    20170612_211053.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 603
Sponsored Links
The top pipe runs up the wall. To the attic perhaps? Is it capped in the attic? If you draw water through taps do the pipes get hot or cold? From your picture I think all that anybody could be sure of is that the one with a gate valve on it is probably not gas. Do you mean the 2 vertical pipes coming out of the floor were the shower supplies? If so, one would have been hot and the other cold. They are now teed together??

Hi, should have put this in context.
The pipes are in the cupboard where the old boiler was located, adjacent is the bathroom. Its a ground floor flat, no attic.
In the crawl space below the hot pipe goes off underneath towards the kitchen, the cold goes straight to the back wall where the bathroom is located.
Its the bit of piping that appears to have another feeding off and back into the supply I cant work out.

When you say "old boiler" do you mean old cylinder? You now have a combi perhaps? So the one that runs up the wall, where to?

Sponsored Links
They did run to the shower that was on the adjacent wall but thats now removed.
Yes was old style boiler i guess which plugged in but had combi ever since we moved in.

Cant be bothered to try to guess at pipes function, or if this is relevant, but make sure there is no defunct Back Boiler involved.

Last edited:
Well thanks fireman t no there is no defunct boiler.
Ive attached another image showing the remaining hot water pipe which i need to cap or connect under the floor.
Any suggestion how to do so is welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_2017-06-16_06.13.16.jpg
    IMG_2017-06-16_06.13.16.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 290
Not sure what your second pic shows that the first one doesn't but, lets do it one at a time.
The one that runs up the wall. It doesn't go to the attic because you do not have an attic but where does it go? Is it simply capped off at the top? send a pic showing this
Does the gate valve operate and is it turned on or off?

The one up the wall thats capped lead to the old shower now removed.
The water came in left to right....removing the old piping cut the cold water to the bath and toilet on the other side.
Now rectified with a join and all the pipe work in pic now gone.
Live and learn eh.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back