Capping off macerator pipe work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've removed an old toilet and macerator as we want to change the room back into a bedroom. Are the pipes just 15mm copper piping so just use normal blanking caps for them or do I need something else? Here's a photo:

20180102_112208.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You could cap it ,but that would leave a dead leg ,which may or may not be a problem. And of course you would have that unsightly section of pipework visible. Would be better to lift floorboards and remove that branch pipe totally.

Hi Terry,

The pipe goes down into the room below but then I can't trace where it goes from that. We are not working on the room below yet so I wasn't planning on taking up the floor in that room yet. Could I temporarily cap off under the floorboards in the room that was a bathroom and then remove the rest of the pipe in the room below at a later date?

Sponsored Links
Yes you can . I would solder a cap on ,as it is under a floorboard. But if you can't do it ,fit a compression ,as JP posted earlier, until you are ready to strip it out mate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back