Capping off cold water pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a new cloakroom WC and basin installed. The basin is now on the opposite wall to the old basin. After fixing the tap it was found that there was no hot water and that both pipes were feeding from the cold supply. The plumber was baffled by this but says he can take another connection from the hot supply in the garage and will cap off the second pipe feeding cold water. This means that there will be almost 2metres of pipe with cold water in it left under the floor. Is it safe to do this? From the little bits of information I have found it would seem that it is not good practice to do this. I would really appreciate any information on this. It would of course mean taking up all the newly tiled floor to access the first fix pipework and rectify the problem there!

Sponsored Links
Just get the plumber to remove the whole leg of cold feed, after he has completed your new Hot tap supply.

Get get more money for his scrap copper and you get a nice new hot tap supply to your cloakroom.

Just get the plumber to remove the whole leg of cold feed, after he has completed your new Hot tap supply.

Get get more money for his scrap copper and you get a nice new hot tap supply to your cloakroom.

Only problem is he would have to take up the newly tiled floor..... From what I remember the pipes under the floor were white plastic with short sections of copper near the tap. He intends to just blank off the pipe that was wrongly connected and that is what I am concerned about.

the Cold water pipe needs sorting properly you cant have 2m of cold stagnant water mixing with your potable water.I Cant understand how he has ended up with 2 cold feeds :rolleyes: If the pipework runs through the garage make sure its is well insulated.

Sponsored Links
I Cant understand how he has ended up with 2 cold feeds
7 Ps: Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents Pis5 Poor Performance.

He said it was the first mistake he has made and I believe him. The rest of his work appears to have been very well planned and I was very pleased with it. However I do want to have it sorted out properly. If it really is so bad to leave the pipe I need as much "evidence" as possible before I insist that he does it. He is a nice guy and I don't want to fall out with him!

I Cant understand how he has ended up with 2 cold feeds
7 Ps: Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents Pis5 Poor Performance.

He said it was the first mistake he has made and I believe him. The rest of his work appears to have been very well planned and I was very pleased with it. However I do want to have it sorted out properly. If it really is so bad to leave the pipe I need as much "evidence" as possible before I insist that he does it. He is a nice guy and I don't want to fall out with him!

You dont need to fall out with him youy just need to tell him what you want.

He may be a nice guy but hes there to do a job, not be your friend.

As another has pointed out stagnant water may mix with potable (drinking water) and is not good.

Get taking that floor up with the plumber my friend, its the only option there is.

Where does the new pipe connect to the old pipe?

Can the whole cold feed be disconnected somewhere accessible and a new hot and cold feed run?

Under the floor! There is of course also an unconnected hot pipe somewher under there - the one that should have fed to the tap.
I don't suppose it is possible that a fault with the tap could cause it to take water from the same pipe wherever it is positioned? (Ever hopeful!)

Under the floor! There is of course also an unconnected hot pipe somewher under there - the one that should have fed to the tap.
I don't suppose it is possible that a fault with the tap could cause it to take water from the same pipe wherever it is positioned? (Ever hopeful!)

I guess anythings possible, it's a tap disconnected job to check.

I just can't see have anyone could connect the hot and cold to same pipe.

Unless he just made a mistake, in which case, it's his problem and needs to sort it. FOC.

To save chopping up floor, could you EXTEND the wrong pipe into the garage and utilise for a garden tap?

To save chopping up floor, could you EXTEND the wrong pipe into the garage and utilise for a garden tap?

This is a very good idea, although there is already a tap in the garage. It still leaves the problem of a hot pipe somewhere under the floor that was temporarily capped. What should be done about that?

Plumbers Problem!!!

Tell him what you want and let him sort it out, once the job is finished you won't be seeing him again. He's not your friend.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back