capping off phone line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have an old workshop at the end of my garden which im about to knock down. It has a phone line coming into it, which is an extension off of the one in the house. I havnt a clue where it is coming into the house, whats the best way to remove it/cap it off, or do i need to trace it back to the other end?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi Thermo, you should find where it is coming from, as a short cct, or a leak to earth in the cable will cause all sorts of problems. It must come from another socket or connection point, just disconect wires and see if it goes dead.
unless it is really old stuff, disconnecting will only cause sockets to go dead,as the bell cct is only in the master socket.
hope this helps

i assume that the extexnsions to sockets just literally spur off, rather than being anything like a ring, so it should be easy to work out?

Sponsored Links
yes, they are daisy chained in paralell, or star fed, disconnecting a wire will just make dead any sockets down the line.
If a cable is left, and gets damp, this could cause faults to the main line, needing BT to come out and they will charge, so dissconnect all unused wiring

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back