Phone line

What sparky said.

Also, there'll be a joint somewhere in the loft space as it's different cable entering the soffit. If you can trace it back to there and run your white cable to that point all the better.

Sponsored Links
What sparky said.

Also, there'll be a joint somewhere in the loft space as it's different cable entering the soffit. If you can trace it back to there and run your white cable to that point all the better.

Will give it a try again tomo when I've got plenty of time not trying after work. Cheers! That's exactly where the joint must be in the soffit as I've put that junction as close to where it enters the house as I can see the grey wire running out the wall into the soffits.
Cheers.

Appreciate the help of everybody that commented! Problem solved I removed the wires to find there was infact 50v at the wires so I carefully put them back into the junction a lot neater then the first time around 😜, 50v on the terminals and 50v the other side of blue & white wires, connected master socket downstairs and all is hunky dory, that you very much all. 👌😄

Sponsored Links
It's untidy, so what, there are no 'shorts' leave it alone and put the cover on.

By the way have you remade the connections to the A & B terminals, they are not done in the correct manner.

The cable should be punched down through its insulation into the IDC terminals with the correct tool, NOT a screwdriver or similar, it's the only way to get a proper connection.

It's untidy, so what, there are no 'shorts' leave it alone and put the cover on.

By the way have you remade the connections to the A & B terminals, they are not done in the correct manner.

The cable should be punched down through its insulation into the IDC terminals with the correct tool, NOT a screwdriver or similar, it's the only way to get a proper connection.

I think it was actually shorting cus I left so much exposed wire as when I did it second time round the voltage was there. Yeah I had the proper BT tool for it acquired it a few years ago from ex bt bloke. I did strip the insulation back before I punched it down though does that matter ?
Cheers

As I said "The cable should be punched down through its insulation into the IDC terminals with the correct tool, NOT a screwdriver or similar, it's the only way to get a proper connection.

To answer your question Cgas, you shouldn't strip it before punching it down. if you leave the insulation on it makes a nice gas tight connection that stops it corroding in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back