Phone line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, after a bit of dummy info on phone lines...I have no idea about how they work but basically renovating a house everything rewired etc etc somewhere along the line the phone lines were cut so putting a new line in but need some info if possible as I'm clueless
Basically here's when I am in pics
Phone line coming in - black wire goes into roof space
I am pretty sure this is the phone line in the loft if anyone could confirm? I have searched high and low in the loft for the old bit and try to trace it to where the old socket was but I can only find that 1 wire however not sure if it's the phone or the bell wire??????
View media item 92944Next, this is where I'm goin to connect the possible phone line into and have what I call a normal wire with colours coming out and then to the new master socket...
View media item 92947 View media item 92946
If anyone could provide any info I'm basically asking if the old grey wire 2nd picture down is the phone line and how do I put it into the socket and the new wire out of it?
Appreciate any replies or help!!!
Thankyou!

Sponsored Links
Looks like old bt cable, use blue white and white blue grey wires in a and b screw terminals in junction box and the blue pair in a and b to new master socket you should have around 50v dc across a and b

Looks like old bt cable, use blue white and white blue grey wires in a and b screw terminals in junction box and the blue pair in a and b to new master socket you should have around 50v dc across a and b

Appreciate the reply. So the two wires on the old bt cable I just put into a&b?
Then the new cable I have into a&b and use the bt tool to put them in? Sorry for the ridiculous questions I just don't understand how it needs 3 wires to get a phone line :rolleyes: ...

Yes ... 3 wires from master socket to extensions only, to be honest 3rd wire not really needed anymore on modern telephone handsets...

Sponsored Links
Yes ... 3 wires from master socket to extensions only, to be honest 3rd wire not really needed anymore on modern telephone handsets...

Just checkin in again, just done it quickly after work this is what resulted but I have no voltage on any wires, it flickers in and out as if there's stray voltage..I haven't yet connected the master socket but surely I should have voltage into the junction?

View media item 92968 View media item 92969

just that you said it "flickers"and there was the possibility you were referring to the use of a neon type screwdriver. it might be worth trying an analogue meter, they can show noisy signals better than digital. also worth measuring voltage whilst you try dialling the number of the line - i think you get a 50 volts DC on a "normal" line and 75volts AC signal as the ring tone. try measuring at the actual wire ends so eliminating any problems with the terminal box. If still no volts it's possible that the line protection (fuse) at the exchange has disconnected it.

just that you said it "flickers"and there was the possibility you were referring to the use of a neon type screwdriver. it might be worth trying an analogue meter, they can show noisy signals better than digital. also worth measuring voltage whilst you try dialling the number of the line - i think you get a 50 volts DC on a "normal" line and 75volts AC signal as the ring tone. try measuring at the actual wire ends so eliminating any problems with the terminal box. If still no volts it's possible that the line protection (fuse) at the exchange has disconnected it.

I did try a fluke pen too but to no avail, the screen just won't stabilise on the meter (shows voltage then drops out) Can't dial the number as there is no supplier for the phone as no one living in the house, do you have to have a live number to have voltage on the line? I will try the wires tomorrow instead of in the block, so when I take up a package with say BT for phone/broadband, and the line is not working on my end I assume it's their problem to sort? Aslong as issue is before the master socket?
Appreciate your help!

Usually an unstable reading on a modern multimeter means that what it's connected to is open-circuit and is picking up voltage through stray capacitance. When a line is first deactivated it is often just blocked at the exchange but when it's been inactive for a while it's likely to get physically disconnected.

If you want a phone at the property call your telephone provider of choice and tell them you need to order a new phone line to the property. If they ask about existing phone wiring tell them that there is wiring there but you have no idea if it's in usable condition and there is no master socket.

Usually an unstable reading on a modern multimeter means that what it's connected to is open-circuit and is picking up voltage through stray capacitance. When a line is first deactivated it is often just blocked at the exchange but when it's been inactive for a while it's likely to get physically disconnected.

If you want a phone at the property call your telephone provider of choice and tell them you need to order a new phone line to the property. If they ask about existing phone wiring tell them that there is wiring there but you have no idea if it's in usable condition and there is no master socket.

Is that usually chargeable do you know? I know someone who had open reach out to do some work (can't remember what it was) and it was ridiculous price in excess of £400, if that's the case I will connect master socket downstairs and simply play dumb and claim any alterations were made by previous owners and see if I can get round it that way.

Oh yes it was like it when you moved in ! 😃 at the end of the day they are providing you with a service and we end up paying " line rental" which in most cases is more than the calls you make....

I think you need to strip and reterminate that grey wire - it's a dog dinner the way you've done it and it could be a short in at the neck of the cable, looking at how much bare wire you've got exposed.

I think you need to strip and reterminate that grey wire - it's a dog dinner the way you've done it and it could be a short in at the neck of the cable, looking at how much bare wire you've got exposed.

I have tried to split the grey wire all kinds of ways but it's literally stuck together so I had to strip it back far enough to get enough length to each terminal! Any more ideas on how to split it by any chance? I'd rather just run a new bloody wire if you could buy it to be honest, ****ing BT!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back