Car battery is it still ok

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys,i bought a new battery about a year ago and used it for six months,then bought a differant vehicle which had a differant size battery,so i have stored the new battery for about six months which has not been charged for that time.My question is how long does a newish battery last without being charged thankyou.

Sponsored Links
They should be charged about every three months otherwise the plates sulphate, if it was a good battery and fully charged at the time you could have got away with it. Connect it up, if it works it will be OK. As long as its not a battery for a petrol and you are using it on a diesel.

They should be charged about every three months otherwise the plates sulphate, if it was a good battery and fully charged at the time you could have got away with it. Connect it up, if it works it will be OK. As long as its not a battery for a petrol and you are using it on a diesel.

Hello peter can you tell me what the problem would be using it on a diesel if it was originally bought for a petrol ,i am curious thank you.

Hello peter can you tell me what the problem would be using it on a diesel if it was originally bought for a petrol ,i am curious thank you.
If I may answer...a battery for a diesel vehicle will have a higher capacity, than that for a petrol engine.
Typically a, Diesel approx 80AH .... Petrol 60AH

Sponsored Links
It will depend on what car it was originally intended for and what car you intend using it in now. You might find the same battery covers both vehicles. You should find a cross reference chart and do a comparison.
Empip posted a good link yesterday that explains batteries. http://tinyurl.com/yf9nryz

Because of its much higher compression a diesel needs much more energy and therefore a much heavier battery to start it, a petrol engine takes typically 2-300 amps to turn the starter and a diesel 4-500. A small battery may start it OK when new but it won't last long

I was looking at batteries for my cars, and surprisingly the Carina takes the same batt as the 206.

However they sell three different batts with increasing power and price in that size. My cars are both petrol, I was wondering if there was any benefit buying the more powerful/more expensive version.

Because of its much higher compression a diesel needs much more energy and therefore a much heavier battery to start it, a petrol engine takes typically 2-300 amps to turn the starter and a diesel 4-500. A small battery may start it OK when new but it won't last long
Not the case if the original battery was for use in a large petrol vehicle and is now intended for a small/medium sized diesel. As yet we don't know the details of the battery, the petrol engine or the diesel engine referred to in this particular case. Just because it was bought for a petrol car doesn't mean it can't be used on a diesel and until we know all the specifications, we can't speculate.

My vehicle's are both petrol and have the same size engine's thank's for the answers.

Sponsored Links
Back