Car door problem with VW Touran

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have this '06' Touran 78Kmiles which has developed a non-operating rear door. When the vehicle is unlocked, frequently the rear offside door refuses to be opened. This can be overcome by exercising the door from the inside lever. From then on it works satisfactorily until the next time the car is unlocked (or not).

The service garage I use has recommended that the whole mechanism needs replacing and would charge an arn and a leg for this. All I think is required is to get inside the door and flood the lot with 3in1 ;) - or some such.

Is this job fairly easy. Is it likely that the mechanism is damaged sufficient to require replacing. How do I get to the guts?

Many thanks for any replies received.

Sponsored Links
It could be the mechanism itself, the soldered joints can fail inside it and it works intermittently. You can sometimes prove this by sitting in the car and hitting the door panel near the latch while you operate the locks.
It could also be broken wires in the flexible boot from the door to pillar area, worth checking this first.
I tried to repair the mechanism on my passat but it was a nightmare to strip so i gave up and bought a new one.

i too would be looking at the wires in the rubber gaitor 1st.
i bet if you look on the touran forum no doubt this problem is in there faqs.and detailed instructions on doing a repair.

Sponsored Links
Back