Car EV charging point advice

Sponsored Links
When someone manages to explain that these things aren't "clean", just moving the coal and gas burning "somewhere else", then I expect we'll see a bit of a backlash.
They do however have the potential (no pun intended) to act as a backup battery for the grid, to help overcome the variability of so-called "green" sources. It won't be long before we see tariffs offering cheaper energy to EV users who are willing to let their energy supplier choose when they can charge their car, via a smart meter.
At a conference a couple of years ago, an EV proponent was salivating at the thought of Heathrow's car parks full of EVs, 20 000 batteries connected to the grid for a period precisely known to the airlines and hence the airport operators... A bit like pumped storage without the water.

In terms of comparing energy sources, that's "a bit misleading", as are several other bits of "information" on that page. It's the sort of tactic used by the green lobby.
In this case, it conveniently ignores the conversion efficiency converting the chemical fuel to electricity at the power station. So lets say we were burning petrol at the power station, what's the efficiency there converting to lecky ? I suspect that from fuel to wheel is not much different.
That's all irrelevant, as I was not looking at end-to-end efficiency, just at the point of use.

Irrelevant to that particular part of the discussion perhaps BAS, but highly relevant to discussion of whether or not EVs are a good thing for the environment.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back