Car ferry to (Northern) Ireland - anyone done it? (Also prices)

Nobody mentioned the Holyhead to Ireland crossing, which i have also done using the Cat. That is a very fast crossing and I think only runs when its a calm sea anyway. When we went on it, it was when hand portable GPS's first appeared and I half remember clocking it at close to 50mph, and perfectly following the line on the Satnav's map.

Looks at that one Harry, it's to Dublin from Holyhead, so it adds about 2.5 hours of driving to Holyhead and then an extra 1.5 hour on the Irish side, so only a net gain of an hour or so and a lot more driving, when I'm trying to keep the mileage down on the TVR :)

Sponsored Links
Friend of my brother bought a house just north of Lisbon, Portugal early last year, but unfortunately he succumbed to Corona end of September. His widow can't get out there this year due to commitments and wants me to go out there for a few months to keep an eye on it. Will likely take the van on ferry to Santander/Bilbao. Anyone done this route?

Not done it, but would be interested to know this as well, as I'd like to do another road trip to the Southern France/Italy... and the Stevlio Pass :)

Not done it, but would be interested to know this as well, as I'd like to do another road trip to the Southern France/Italy... and the Stevlio Pass :)

I'm only recently back from my 2500 mile round trip to far side of Czech Republic and Poland. Returned when the weather over there started getting a bit dicey even though I prepared with all seasons tyres. Ready for somewhere bit warmer now and this opportunity of a long break to Portugal came up, gratis. Don't fancy another long drive, so ferry to northern Spain makes sense and drive down rest of way. Prices seem to be £300 one way, poss bit cheaper if booking return ticket. Not sure how choppy Biscay will be this time of year.

Spent my last 4 nights of trip in northern France, rural Pas De Calais area 10ish miles north of Saint Omer, and was quite surprised how much I enjoyed it. I found the French surprisingly welcoming (still scoundrels, Trans :eek: ;) ). People walking along pavement in villages saying bonjour, even teenagers. In pubs everyone who walks in says bonjour - even to me, a stranger. Quite often they shook my hand in the pub. I did blend in enjoying a leisurely Ricard with plenty of water. Real eye-opener, things seemed less busy and frantic than UK, food great, civilised. Would like to explore more, inc. rural south, not coast. Hiring cruiser for Canal Du Midi has always been near top of my travel list.

Last edited:
People walking along pavement in villages saying bonjour, even teenagers. In pubs everyone who walks in says bonjour - even to me, a stranger. Quite often they shook my hand in the pub.
It's also comme d'habitude to wish everyone a good evening when leaving (bonne soiree, or bonne journee during the day)
The French are generally wishing everyone a good whatever at every opportunity:
bon appetit, bonne route, bon courage, bon weekend, bonne vacance, etc.

Sponsored Links
I'm only recently back from my 2500 mile round trip to far side of Czech Republic and Poland. Returned when the weather over there started getting a bit dicey even though I prepared with all seasons tyres. Ready for somewhere bit warmer now and this opportunity of a long break to Portugal came up, gratis. Don't fancy another long drive, so ferry to northern Spain makes sense and drive down rest of way. Prices seem to be £300 one way, poss bit cheaper if booking return ticket. Not sure how choppy Biscay will be this time of year.

Spent my last 4 nights of trip in northern France, rural Pas De Calais area 10ish miles north of Saint Omer, and was quite surprised how much I enjoyed it. I found the French surprisingly welcoming (still scoundrels, Trans :eek: ;) ). People walking along pavement in villages saying bonjour, even teenagers. In pubs everyone who walks in says bonjour - even to me, a stranger. Quite often they shook my hand in the pub. I did blend in enjoying a leisurely Ricard with plenty of water. Real eye-opener, things seemed less busy and frantic than UK, food great, civilised. Would like to explore more, inc. rural south, not coast. Hiring cruiser for Canal Du Midi has always been near top of my travel list.

Rural France is all lovely as are the France people generally (sorry Transam).

I think the ferry down to Santander is one where I’d definitely want a cabin on the boat….must be a 20 hour journey.

Rural France is all lovely as are the France people generally (sorry Transam).

I think the ferry down to Santander is one where I’d definitely want a cabin on the boat….must be a 20 hour journey.
For anyone seriously considering such journeys, check out the various ferry memberships and frequent traveller opportunities.
I'm not sure if Channel Tunnel are still doing their frequent traveller options. It was ten tickets with massive savings, plus other benefits such as 24 hours free amendments. The ten tickets could be shared between several families/groups and each would have their own access to their bookings.

Ferry companies also do memberships, and apart from other benefits, the savings on fares, etc cover, or almost cover, the cost of the membership.
Other benefits can include free cabins on day-time crossings, 10% savings on other spend on board, (not duty free), etc.
Your friends can also book via your membership for a saving for themselves, and additional accrued savings for you.

Never been to NI but I've been to Rep.of Ireland several times...I prefer the ferry over flying, it's more adventurous!

Once on the night ferry from Holyhead on a cheap fare; it was torture, freezing cold, couldn't get warm anywhere on the boat.

Most crossings have been lovely though. Sometimes the sea is perfectly still all the way and you can watch all the birds dipping by.

If you take your car, don't be too eager to be first on, because it means you will be last off!

Is that right though, from Holyhead to Dublin/Dunlaoghaire, it is first on first off.

Blup

Back