Car handbreak question

R

Ringy123

Just a quick question. When I stop in traffic on a hill and put my foot on the break and also pull up the handbreak fully until it stops and then take my foot off the break the car rolls a bit but then when I go to pull up the handbreak again with my foot off the break I can engage the handbreak another small bit (1 click) and the car stops rolling. Seem that when I engage the handbreak fully with my foot on the break the car will roll just very slowly once I take my foot off the break but by taking my foot off the break I then can get an extra bit (1 click) on the handbreak and the car stops. Why is this? It doesn't really bother me but I'm just wondering.

Sponsored Links
This car has a rear brake system that you may not be familiar with, and what you are experiencing is fairly typical.
Using the foot brake pedal operates disc pads that grip the disc, but on these cars the handbrake system is contained in a smallish drum, that is integral with the disc itself - so in fact you have two systems in one.
The foot brake pads are self adjusting, but the handbrake is not......ideally it doesn't need to be as the shoes only bear on the drum when the car is stationary - wear is therefore minimal.
If you were to adjust the shoes (which is done via a hole in the drum) your symptoms would be less. The fact that you can pull the hand brake on a fraction more is that the car rolls slightly with the foot brake released - and the shoes can move a fraction more.
John :)

Sponsored Links
This car has a rear brake system that you may not be familiar with, and what you are experiencing is fairly typical.
Using the foot brake pedal operates disc pads that grip the disc, but on these cars the handbrake system is contained in a smallish drum, that is integral with the disc itself - so in fact you have two systems in one.
The foot brake pads are self adjusting, but the handbrake is not......ideally it doesn't need to be as the shoes only bear on the drum when the car is stationary - wear is therefore minimal.
If you were to adjust the shoes (which is done via a hole in the drum) your symptoms would be less. The fact that you can pull the hand brake on a fraction more is that the car rolls slightly with the foot brake released - and the shoes can move a fraction more.
You know your stuff. I just bought the car the other day from a Kia dealer so I'm sure he'll sort it for me on Monday. Is this a quick fix? Or will he have to order parts hence putting my car out of action for a few days.

Most unlikely really - if the discs look bright and shiny then they should be ok, but obviously I can't see the state of the pads.
The inner brake shoes won't be worn.
The work involved should only take one hour per side, so your car won't be off the road for long!

Back