Car insurance with no car?

Sponsored Links
From compare the market, happened to me once with this auto renew nonsense. If it's worth doing after the admin fees then go for it.

View attachment 262967
I bet somewhere in the small print of the compare the market website there will be a disclaimer saying anything written on the website is merely an opinion and that you should ........... read the small print of your actual policy.

So ........ the moral of the story is ............ read the small print?

Or that the moral of the story is that insurers are (on occasion) a law unto themselves.

In my case, if I managed to find a Latvian policeman at 3 am and told him that I had lost my phone, I am guessing that he would not have been terribly sympathetic and not very likely to give me a crime number (given that there was no crime).

The reality is that most of us do not have degrees in contract law. At the point of purchase, I was told that I could cancel my contract at any point. I worked on, what I think is a reasonable assumption, namely that when I told the insurer that I no longer own the product, it would be assumed that I no longer want to insure a product that I cannot make any claims against (ie, I didn't want to pay insurance for a device that is no longer insurable).

Contrary to the opinion given my understanding is that you cannot insure a vehicle with more that one company ... even if you can the clause that only allows claiming a percentage from each of them doesn't make sense to me as you would be doubling up on the admin.
I'm sure the replies you've received are given in good faith, but I advise you to be extremely careful in this matter, least you fall foul of future insurance (made easy by digital records) or worst still the law.

Sponsored Links
Contrary to the opinion given my understanding is that you cannot insure a vehicle with more that one company ... even if you can the clause that only allows claiming a percentage from each of them doesn't make sense to me as you would be doubling up on the admin.
I'm sure the replies you've received are given in good faith, but I advise you to be extremely careful in this matter, least you fall foul of future insurance (made easy by digital records) or worst still the law.
Don't worry, I / we have no intention of doing anything incorrect or illegal. With regards all of the other 'advice' given, I kinda zoned out when it got off topic. :)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions though.

Don't worry, I / we have no intention of doing anything incorrect or illegal. With regards all of the other 'advice' given, I kinda zoned out when it got off topic. :)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions though.

Apologies for going off topic. I was simply trying to demonstrate that when it suits them, insurance companies will defy logic and commen sense.

BTW, are you aware that if your son had you as a named driver, his insurance would have been cheaper.

From memory, when my stepson got his first car at the age of 17, he put his mum down as a named driver, I seem to recall it equating to a 5% reduction in his policy.

My son's written off his BMW. It was expensive to insure but he won't be claiming in an effort to build up his No Claims Bonus. He's only a couple of months from hitting the second years bonus.

We could keep the insurance running but ideally like to drop down to something smaller and get a refund back on the remaining months.

Is there such a system in place where he can have the insurance 'on tick-over' so to speak? He doesn't want to rush in and buy a smaller car. He doesn't have the money. Can he insure a fictitious vehicle perhaps? Or take out a duplicate policy on my wife's or his sister's smaller cars?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

No.......

My son's written off his BMW. It was expensive to insure but he won't be claiming in an effort to build up his No Claims Bonus. He's only a couple of months from hitting the second years bonus.

We could keep the insurance running but ideally like to drop down to something smaller and get a refund back on the remaining months.

Then the insurance company needs to be informed of the accident, even if there is not going to be a claim made - even if there has been no claim made the NCB will be lost, due to the accident.

Then the insurance company needs to be informed of the accident, even if there is not going to be a claim made - even if there has been no claim made the NCB will be lost, due to the accident.

What does the "C" stand for, in NCB?

What does the "C" stand for, in NCB?

It stands for claim, but you do not need to have actually have made a claim, to loose NCB - simply to have been involved with an accident. Once you have an accident you are legally required to inform them, your fault or not, you have made a claim and your insurance is then liable to be cancelled.

It stands for claim, but you do not need to have actually have made a claim, to loose NCB - simply to have been involved with an accident. Once you have an accident you are legally required to inform them, your fault or not, you have made a claim and your insurance is then liable to be cancelled.
Harry, you have that completely wrong. You can only lose your NCB if you make a claim on your own car or if someone makes a claim against you. Even then, you may not lose your NCB if it is protected. In either event, your insurance is not automatically liable to be cancelled. It may be stopped if your car is written off as there will no longer be a car to insure. Do you actually own and drive a car?

Last edited:
WARNING: Please note that your insurance is written off if your car is written off and that is a face please ignore the wrong information posted here by some.

NB: No ifs, no buts, if your car is written off, so is your insurance, (you don't get your money back if you pay yearly if you pay monthly then you keep on paying the outstanding amount facT!!!(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

WARNING: Please note that your insurance is written off if your car is written off and that is a face please ignore the wrong information posted here by some.

NB: No ifs, no buts, if your car is written off, so is your insurance, (you don't get your money back if you pay yearly if you pay monthly then you keep on paying the outstanding amount facT!!!(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Re above, don't take my word for it, Google it and you will see what I have posted is correct.

Supposing you wrote your car off and in the process injured someone. At first the person's injuries were thought insignificant. But if the symptoms later became more serious - eg neck or spine injuries, then the insurer would have a continued liability for the costs of consequences of the accident.
So the insurance would not have been written off after all?

Sponsored Links
Back