Car MOT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am after some advice more than any thing; I have taken my 2003 Ford Focus (1.8tdi) for its annual MOT. I drove the car there absolutely fine; I used the car daily shopping kids to school etc... when I went to pick up the car they told me that it had failed on the head light being out of line, also that the fuel emit ions was out, they also said that they had put something in the engine or tank to clear the injectors out and get the fuel emit ions right. What they put in I do not know. I paid and picked up the car drove it out absolutely fine but I live at the top of a hill the car would not pull up the hill, and is pushing water out of the expansion bottle but the water is not boiling???.
I went back to the garage in question and they deny that they have done any thing wrong, but now i can not use my car for anything... WHERE DO I STAND?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it could be a head gasket gone,that would cause loss of power and effect the water as well if the leak is in the right place, it is hardly likly to be anything to do with the MOT garage, they were trying to help you.

If you cant move the car to a garage to check it out, try a mechanic that advertises in the paper they will come to you,tell him about the loss of power and the water, get a quote then if not sure about him call another garage to come and pick it up but keep getting quotes and pick the best one.

Good luck.

i think you should go back to the garage ,do you have a reciept saying wat they charged you for ie redex or fuel cleaner ?. they have no right to do anything to your car or add nothing without concent.

Yes... sounds like the head gasket's gone! Sorry but it's expensive to correct.
During the mot test the engine has to be excessively revved and if the head gaskets not been changed when it should have been then it can go badly wrong in the test. I had a Megane once and when the test centre realised that I hadn't had the head gasket changed( They actually asked me! I think it was around 50.000 miles in my case) they refused to undertake the test for fear of things going wrong!
Anyway ...good luck.
Stewart

Sponsored Links
never heard of head gaskets needing to be changed at a required interval.
what they shouldve said to you was have you had the timming belt changed(if it has 1)within the required time limit?
as said they have to rev the nuts off it to measure the ommissions.
if you want detailed info,
take a looksie at the,
www.ffoc.co.uk

Head gaskets are not routinely changed, in most cases they can last the age of the car, what will cause a head gasket to fail is if the engine has been overheated at some time , the cylinder head can warp, and the gasket will fail.
Maximum revs are part of the MOT test and there will usually be a disclaimer notice in the garage informing you that in the event of anything going wrong they will not be held responsible.
They should not however have added anything to your fuel without your permission.
A failed head gasket is not the end of the world, you would need to have the head skimmed, and will probably be looking at a bill of approx £300
I personally would take it to a different garage though, because had they suspected the head gasket had gone, there is a simple definitive test they could have done, 'the sniffer test' them not doing this, leads me to suspect they are not very good.

Wotan

what they shouldve said to you was have you had the timming belt changed(if it has 1)within the required time limit?
take a looksie at the,
www.ffoc.co.uk
They don't measure ommisions..they measure emissions.

Wotan

I think this has been a wild coincidence unfortunately...on a diesel test the engine has to be revved up to maximum for a minimum of 3 times to see what the smoke output is. This in itself is rarely harmful - but assuming that the coolant level was correct before the test, and the oil temperature was minimum 60 deg all should be well. I think the garage was trying to help you with some fuel additive - there are several types available but the trade use Forte usually, and you can see the emissions coming down as the additive works its way through.
You don't say what your coolant temperature gauge is reading now but almost certainly the cylinder head gasket has failed. :(
Cheers John :)

take a looksie at the,
www.ffoc.co.uk
They don't measure ommisions..they measure emissions.

Wotan

doh,you got the gist though didnt cha.

Sponsored Links
Back