What do you reckon to my chances?

It remains agood thing to know how the car NORMALY behaves under the handbrake ... not all cars perform in the same manner ... plus when one imagines there is something amiss then there is that yardstick to measure by.

Never heard of deliberate bend 'oiling', but always aware on country junctions / bends in the wet, there could be a quarry or some kind of transport depot / farm nearby ... laden 'oil burner', tank brim full, negotiating bend or junction can lead to spillage ;)

Stupid 'sleeping policemen' if someone takes the bump too quickly, for whatever reason .... What if suspension is damaged such that directional function is compromised at a later stage causing possibly a tragic accident with a third party ? Does not add up to any kind of sense does it ?

We have a small village nearby where the locals cried out for 20 mph speed limit .... on a spot check guess who did most speeding over that limit, yep ! villagers themselves !! What a joke.
I think the people who will speed through, especially locals (knowing potential speed traps), will continue to do so, whatever. Others who drive through with care will probably continue in that vein.
P

Sponsored Links
Did the handbrake on my way home, surprising just how hard you have to pull it to get any real braking action from 30mph, even with clutch pressed in (not in neutral, that's asking for trouble!). Didn't keep it on too long, didn't want to get that lovely smell of burning brake linings.

guess who did most speeding over that limit

I read an article a few years ago which reckoned that people who cry the loudest for a reduced speed limit in their own village are the worst offenders for speeding through other villages. We have narrow windy country lanes here, when I drive on them I seem to infuriate some of the "locals" because I am cautious on these unfamiliar roads... even had someone beeping at me for the audacity of slowing down for tight blind corners on a high-sided narrow country lane in pitch-darkness! :LOL:

Now, I respect that these beautiful villages deserve respect and can be enjoyed by more people if we drive through them at 30 rather than 60. But: aren't 99% of the residents people who moved there/were born long after the road was a busy one? So they are screaming out for 20mph limits to encourage people to take a route through some other village. It's like moving near Heathrow airport and then moaning about the noise... as if anyone does that... :rolleyes:

Having watched a nondescript little village become ruined by the growth of a nearby airport ... Some people actually do move to the area, then join the anti-airport pressure group !!
Unless one has lived nearby it is difficult to imagine how lives are affected, light pollution .. Jet passenger aircraft, parked overnight, running their little power turbine all night long :?: !! Plus millions of passengers using less than adequate local roads .. no investment in that.
Oh, and the airport in question is now Spanish owned !!
P

Sponsored Links
Oh, I fully understand the protestors against these proposed airports and airport expansion programmes. I flew from Stansted once and I got the impression they fly in and out from there 24 hours a day! I actually felt a bit guilty as my Airbus roared down the runway at about 4am. :confused:

You see, my parents live about 10 miles from Heathrow. Far enough that it doesn't really bother them but you do notice there are a lot of planes. However, being in the same local paper and local TV area as Heathrow and the surrounding areas, you read articles and see things on the local news that give you the impression people buy houses near the airport (on the cheap compared to if the airport wasn't there), then decide they don't like the noise. So they moan about the noise, they moan about the pollution. I would love it if they could make planes silent and not chuck unburnt kerosene out the back all over the washing, but the fact is no-one forced these people to move in next door to Europe's busiest airport! They did it because they realised their money would buy a lot more house there than in the areas further from the airport.

I once toyed with the idea of moving to Luton as the houses there seemed quite cheap, but when I looked at a map and realised how close these particular houses were to the airport, I thought "No way!". But if I was deaf, with no sense of smell, I probably wouldn't have minded so much.

Back