Car not turning over

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have been away for over 2 weeks and the wife has not started the car up as she normally does when i am away, when i tried to start there was alot of clicking when trying to turn the ignition over and most of the lights were out, tried to bump with my wifes battery and everything is coming on ie lights,ac etc but when i turn the key to start, there is absolutely nothing hapening at all, no attempt at turning over, is the ignition switch had it??any thoughts

Sponsored Links
leave it connected for longer to charge the battery.

If your batt goes flat in only two weeks, either you need a new batt or you should find what is causing the drain and fix it.

Alarm, perhaps?

Disconnect the flat battery on the car and try jumping it from the good battery. The flat battery will be drawing everything from the good one and there wont be enough left to turn the engine.

Just tried bump starting it but no response, also neighbour has a big battery and he plugged that onto mine and everything came on ie lights, radio but engine would still not turn over, there is nothing hapening when turning to ignition to turn the engine over.

Sponsored Links
Have you charged up the battery yet like I suggested?

Just tried bump starting it but no response, also neighbour has a big battery and he plugged that onto mine and everything came on ie lights, radio but engine would still not turn over, there is nothing hapening when turning to ignition to turn the engine over.

I'm sure you meant jump starting it? bump starting is something completely different.

Jump starting, make sure you connect the leads the right way round positive red+ to positive red+ negative black- to negative black-
leave the engine running on the car giving the boost for a few minutes, before trying to start the car receiving the jump start, if the connections are sound it should turn over and start.

Wotan

I tried bump starting and jump starting without success, also noticed the light flashing quickly on the clock indicating the immobilser had cut in so that was the reason for not starting although first thing this morning it was trying but obviously the battery was flat. I have just changed the battery because it was nearly 4 yrs old and probably on the way out, but the car still does not work due to the immobiliser which should recognise my keys but for some reason does not.Don't think i can do anything until monday unless anyone got ideas.For info it is a 3 1/2 yr ST TDCI Mondeo

Did you get either a red or a blue key with the car? This should be the master key which should get over the immobiliser problems

Never got a blue or red key with it, just a spare key, apparently not relevant with the newer models.

Sponsored Links
Back