Car parking spaces

Minimum, (and therefore average), car parking space in UK is 2.4 metres wide. Average car width in UK is around 2 metres.
This gives a space of 30cm either side of a car. Which equates to around 12" either side. How ludicrous is this in this day and age?

BTW, average width of the car does not include side mirrors, some of which don't fold in when you park.

Usage of space can be improved if everyone parked alternatively, nose to tail, passenger door tight to passenger door, so the bigger space is for the drivers to get in. Passengers can always jump in, once the car is extracted and more often than not, it's the careless passengers getting in and out who cause the door dings.

When I get in or out of the driving seat, I wrap my fingers around the outside of the door, so my fingers cushioned the door from dings again other vehicles.

Sponsored Links
When I get in or out of the driving seat, I wrap my fingers around the outside of the door, so my fingers cushioned the door from dings again other vehicles.
Harry...many people for whatever reason do not think and seem to disengage brain altogether in a car

Why do so many go in nose first?

because its easier to load the shopping in the boot, loading "in the traffic" is seldom an issue as the cars passing generally give due care and attention.

however you are correct, it is easier to reverse into a parking space and drive out.

because its easier to load the shopping in the boot, loading "in the traffic" is seldom an issue as the cars passing generally give due care and attention.

however you are correct, it is easier to reverse into a parking space and drive out.

On a number of sites and customers that I visit, there is a "reverse-in" policy.
Thinking being, it is easier to drive out, than to reverse out, especially as, when leaving the car park, it is likely that

- more cars will be leaving at kicking-out time, compared to the start of the day (when people tend to arrive not all-at-once),
- driving straight out is easier,
- it is dark at leaving time, for a chunk of the year,
- the car has been standing all day, and so rear and side windows are more likely to be misted up, reducing rear and side visibility further still.

I always revers in anyway; as the "steering" wheels are then in the best situation to allow decent manoeuvering (sic?).

Sponsored Links
On a number of sites and customers that I visit, there is a "reverse-in" policy.
Thinking being, it is easier to drive out, than to reverse out, especially as, when leaving the car park, it is likely that

- more cars will be leaving at kicking-out time, compared to the start of the day (when people tend to arrive not all-at-once),
- driving straight out is easier,
- it is dark at leaving time, for a chunk of the year,
- the car has been standing all day, and so rear and side windows are more likely to be misted up, reducing rear and side visibility further still.

I always revers in anyway; as the "steering" wheels are then in the best situation to allow decent manoeuvering (sic?).

yeah MTU UK have this policy, all cars must reverse in,

Anybody who has ever been in the forces will know that the policy is; reverse in drive out. If you ever drive past a base, you will see all the vehicles lined up and ready to go.

I drive a big saloon with terrible vision to the rear, so I have a reversing camera fitted to help. I almost always reverse into a space, for easier exit - unless there is a sound reason not to. Reversing in, I can use my door mirrors to see and align with the white lines perfectly, going in forwards, I have to guess or judge where the lines are. Reversing in, also has the advantage when loading shopping, that I can load the boot without risking being in the way of passing traffic.

Why do so many go in nose first?
I think for some, they lack the confidence/skill to reverse in. However this often results in them having a nightmare reversing out especially if cars are parked either side if them.

All my life, my sister has been better at many things than me, however the one thing we sometimes joke about is the fact I'm generally a better driver, so at least I have that over her! To this day if she's the passenger, when I parallel park or reverse into a space she'll say 'how do you do that?!?' I think as with many things in life, yes you can learn to drive, however some have much more natural ability than others. So some, although passing the test, never fully get to grips with spatial awareness, reversing, parking etc.

I remember reading something about people that park beside your car even if there are tons of free spaces around. In some cases, these are people that simply find it difficult to park between the lines with no physical reference point. So parking beside another car helps them as they use it as a guide.

Usage of space can be improved if everyone parked alternatively, nose to tail, passenger door tight to passenger door, so the bigger space is for the drivers to get in. Passengers can always jump in, once the car is extracted and more often than not, it's the careless passengers getting in and out who cause the door dings.

The thing is, you're applying rational and practical thinking to the parking process, many (most?) don't do this. This is why, although I don't agree with it, I can understand why some double park. If their car is their pride and joy, regardless of its age or value, it can be disheartening to get home and discover yet another ding or small scrape. And it's not always intentional. I've seen mums/dads (no mum & baby spaces available) struggling to get their toddlers out the car when parked in a tight space. Sometimes they have little choice but to open their door slowly and rest it against the adjoining car.

It's the people that just let their door swing open that need a talking to!

I'm a reverse in- drive out driver and I don't have 'Bleepers' as my wife calls them. As we usually park in a disabled bay, (because my wife is disabled and has a blue badge). The side space is not an issue but they also have the advantage, at most supermarkets, of having an extra chevroned space at the road edge which I park up to so I can then load the boot from the pedestrian side. As diy says, my wife is always amazed when I park in a space, not much longer than my car, first time and says the same, "How on earth do you manage to do that without bleepers and without hitting anything?" My answer is I was taught by a good instructor who instilled the confidence to do it.

I'm a reverse in- drive out driver and I don't have 'Bleepers' as my wife calls them.

I have those, plus camera (well two if you include the rear facing carcam). It worries me relying on the bleepers, because you are supposed to listen for the single bleep to confirm they are working, no bleep, they are not working. I always miss that single confirmation bleep - so I am left guessing whether they will warn me or not. My reverse light switch failed last year, which meant no reverse beep, until I had fitted a new switch.

What have you against those?

Is this a serious question? They are the idiot's choice of car, especially Audis! You watch, next time you're on the road. Once you see an Audi it will not be long before it does something stupid, outrageous and illegal. They are the preferred car of drug takers and other criminals.

Sponsored Links
Back