Are you a good at parking?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've always been lucky in that I find parking relatively straightforward, not sure if you call it good spatial awareness or whatever. Where possible, I will reverse into a space so I can drive out when leaving. And I always do my best to ensure enough space is left for the adjoining cars although not always easy these days i.e. larger cars, tighter spaces. However I notice quite a few people drive in to a space but then struggle when reversing out, especially if the car park spaces are tight and their car is on the larger side. I'm not sure if they're not confident to reverse in or simply find it more convenient to just drive in.

Parallel parking is also something I'm not bad at, although I'm not immune to having to drive out and give it a second go!

How would you judge your own parking skills? Are there any aspects of it you struggle more with?

Sponsored Links
Not always good to reverse in if you have rear wheel drive, I know most now are FWD in the country there can be an unforseen ditch and I always like my driving wheels on hardstanding, a pub in our village has adopted the verge as a car park over the years, its a bit overgrown and much to the locals delight knobby grockles sometimes go in to far and get stuck .

I cut my driving teeth whist living in a terraced street, where parking was at a premium and on a first come first serve basis. Vehicles parked both sides, narrow road. Delivery lorries struggle with mirrors etc. So yes, I feel I can parallel park in most situations. The missus is pretty handy too. Always reverses the (long) car into spaces and parallel parks pretty good too. She also lived in the same street (different address) for a while.

Old trannies were the best to park because of their brilliant full lock.

For me it depends on the car I am driving and of course having one of those reversing cameras which tell you where you will end up.

Sponsored Links
Drive a large van and you will quickly learn to reverse and park. Once you've mastered that cars are quite simple

For me it depends on the car I am driving and of course having one of those reversing cameras which tell you where you will end up.
I don't know anyone that uses a reversing camera.
Personally I always park using the side mirrors, even when I'm in the car. I don't do that arm over the seat thing a look behind, unless I'm reversing down a street. Even then I'm partial to mirrors.

I cut my driving teeth whist living in a terraced street
I lived on a terraced street too. Once a friend visited and by the time he managed to park his car I was in hysterics - it must have taken him about 30 attempts. And the road only had room for one car to pass at a time too, so there were soon plenty of spectators.

I used to have an 8M motorhome and that was one of the easiest vehicles to park due to the turning circle. Some of the sporty saloons I've had have been a pita to park due to limited lock and long bonnets.

The only thing a reversing camera is good for, for me at least, is judging how close you are when reversing in.

Before that, I just used to "kiss" the bumper, then pull it forward a nad.

(Always driven estates).

Always reverse park, and always end up on-the-pizz using the camera. Bob on with the side mirrors.

Also lived in terraced house streets and consider myself to be very good at reverse and parallel parking'
I've got parking sensors on my latest car and totally ignore them, as they tend to indicate you are about to hit something, when in reality you are 12"-18" away. Always use side and interior mirrors, as was taught by ex-HGV instructor who said you can see/judge more through your mirrors than you can looking over your shoulder.
Always reverse into a parking slot because it's easier to drive out of. With front wheel turning you simply take the car further out so you can swing around the car next to you.

I've got parking sensors on my latest car and totally ignore them, as they tend to indicate you are about to hit something, when in reality you are 12"-18" away.
Really? Which car is it

My tesla is really accurate and I've got a option to adjust the distance.

65 Vauxhall Zafira Tourer SE. It might have a facility to alter the distance, but I never rely on them anyway.

I used to work on power station sites, and their policy was "mandatory reverse park".
Reasoning being, when you arrive, your windows are clear and you have full visibility whereas, upon leaving site at the end of the day, you would otherwise have to reverse out with likely foggy rear and side windows.
Made a lot of sense.

I used to work on power station sites, and their policy was "mandatory reverse park".
Reasoning being, when you arrive, your windows are clear and you have full visibility whereas, upon leaving site at the end of the day, you would otherwise have to reverse out with likely foggy rear and side windows.
Made a lot of sense.
Most sites I have ever visited had mandatory reverse parking to reduce accidents.

Sponsored Links
Back