New Driving test

Jeep of death!
Yeah, you're right, when I lived in Leeds a few years back were still polite and considerate drivers on a whole. Was like how London was 20 years ago. I can remember adjusting my driving to suit when I moved there - ie, don't be a knobhead :)

I just wish those with nice cars who take the 2 spaces parked further away from the shop where there is always empty spaces.
I do... Walking is good for me, especially when you see what I have bought. Though the Jeep of death, commonly known as Boris gets parked next to Audis and Range Rovers, just to irritate the kind of person who drives an Audi or a Range Rover.... They do love to admire my heavy steel bumpers with a winch on the front.

Sponsored Links
He's a proper white van man then! They are a special species.

Just out of curiosity, have they changed the protocol for indicating at roundabouts in the last 20 years?
According to the hgv driver trainer at my work, yes. Apparently, at those roundabouts where you follow the lane marking (rather than the ones where you cross the lanes yourself after the previous exit), then you only indicate when exiting, ie you do not indicate right if going right etc.

Sponsored Links
...and contrary to the Highway Code.

upload_2017-4-15_20-16-11.png

Never assume those in charge know what they are doing.

Just downloaded the HC and noticed that there is a section linked to:

"Learn to drive online" - could explain a lot.

According to the hgv driver trainer at my work, yes. Apparently, at those roundabouts where you follow the lane marking (rather than the ones where you cross the lanes yourself after the previous exit), then you only indicate when exiting, ie you do not indicate right if going right etc.
That would be logical as you are not changing lanes, you are following the late to your exit.. Although those RAs are pretty irritating as car drivers seem to struggle with following lanes..

This one's fun in Hemel, was quite odd the first time I encountered one of these magic roundabouts.
Probably completely flummoxes 80% of the driving population!
CCtfhK1W8AAG2sO.png

Was a passenger at that Hemel roundabout a few weeks ago.
My eyes were all over the place wondering who was coming from where!

Regarding the indicators, I was behind a bloke in a flashy new convertible sports type car years ago and no matter which way he turned he never indicated. Finally pulled alongside him at some traffic lights which had just turned red against us and I was openly staring at him/his car. He looked at me and said, "Beauty isn't she?"
I replied yes, its looks good but when are you taking it back to get fixed?
"What do you mean? There's nothing wrong with it!"
I replied, yes there is. Your f**king indicators don't work!

But that isn't the type of roundabout that alan is referring to...
Mmm. Possibly.

If a roundabout is marked like that then surely it must be so big as to not really be a roundabout at all.

The lane in which the bottom right green car is (that is indicating right) will be marked for wherever the road on the right goes.

If not, I'm not sure what you have in mind.
Do you not signal right when turning right off a straight road if that is the only place the lane goes?

Now why remove the 3 point turn, as it's just as important as parking in a supermarket car park. And with self parking cars being the thing of the future, I certainly can't see the point of it. But if you expand this idea further, just how long before google cars are the norm, and it'll be considered quant to learn how to drive.

Unfortunately, people are taught to pass their test, not how to drive. For those of you that drive considerately, well done, for you are the exceptions to the rule. I'm sad to say that the rest, are inept, stupid, and selfish.

I heard the driving test will include the use of sat navs , the example given was what do you do when your sat nav says turn right and the turning has a no-entry sign. I despair.

Now that sound like an hidden inteligence test. Might weed out a few idiots yet.

I susoect you'll be told to enter an address, and then have to follow it's directions. But the folling piece that I picked up off of one of the articles hoddified me.

The "show me" and "tell me" question at the beginning of the test will become a "show me" question while driving such as asking candidates to use the rear windscreen heater.

I think getting new drivers to understand when they should use fog lights, and how to turn them off would be far more relevant.

Sponsored Links
Back