New Driving test

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I see the new test is scrapping the 3 point turn and reversing around corner. This being replaced with driving INTO a parking space in a supermarket car park and reversing OUT. Surely this is the wrong way round. When reversing the front of the car must swing out, and in the narrow bays in the car parks, if there is a vehicle each side it is necessary to reverse almost straight across the alley before any lock can be applied.

Sponsored Links
driving INTO a parking space in a supermarket car park and reversing OUT. Surely this is the wrong way round.

I think going to the supermarket is more about being able to put your shopping in the boot mebbe?

I agree.

Teaching them to reverse in would be too much to hope for.

Although the supermarket point is valid.
Supermarkets, as some do, should have a path between the two rows of parking spaces.

Just out of curiosity, have they changed the protocol for indicating at roundabouts in the last 20 years?

Sponsored Links
Just out of curiosity, have they changed the protocol for indicating at roundabouts in the last 20 years?
Yes! They don't!
And from my experience, folk just don't give a toss which lane they are in...

Same as less people say thanks when you let them pass/out.

Protocol for roundabouts is _ He who arrives first Goes:whistle:

As for indicating.

I have come to the conclusion that (most) people NEVER turn off their indicators manually.
That is, they leave it to the steering wheel to do it.
They may not even realise you can.

Consequently, it is impossible for them to (when appropriate) signal right entering the roundabout and then left when they want to exit.
So, they don't do either.

I see the new test is scrapping the 3 point turn and reversing around corner. This being replaced with driving INTO a parking space in a supermarket car park and reversing OUT. Surely this is the wrong way round. When reversing the front of the car must swing out, and in the narrow bays in the car parks, if there is a vehicle each side it is necessary to reverse almost straight across the alley before any lock can be applied.
Maybe there's method in their madness? If they force people to be able to reverse out of a tight space then maybe they'll learn a bit of spacial awareness and how not to scratch their front bumper against the back of the car next to them.

Yes! They don't!
And from my experience, folk just don't give a toss which lane they are in...

Same as less people say thanks when you let them pass/out.
To be fair, in the civilised North, a wave of thanks is still very common... It seems that folk are just confused about how to indicate and in which direction to indicate on roundabouts... I just wondered if there was a new protocol that I wasn't aware of.. Generally if they cant indicate their intentions on a RA, then I just pull out on them if I'm in the Jeep of death... They always stop

I have an issue with parking spaces... Although cars have become larger over the years, nothing has been done to address the issue when it comes to the size of parking spaces which seem to be the same size as they were when Ben Hur used to go shopping.. Although I can't condone it, I can fully understand folk with nice cars that they don't want to be dinged, taking two spaces or parking in the much despised "Mummy and Brat" parking spaces, which I feel are discriminatory against folk who cannot have kids

To be fair, in the civilised North, a wave of thanks is still very common... It seems that folk are just confused about how to indicate and in which direction to indicate on roundabouts... I just wondered if there was a new protocol that I wasn't aware of.. Generally if they cant indicate their intentions on a RA, then I just pull out on them if I'm in the Jeep of death... They always stop
Jeep of death!
Yeah, you're right, when I lived in Leeds a few years back were still polite and considerate drivers on a whole. Was like how London was 20 years ago. I can remember adjusting my driving to suit when I moved there - ie, don't be a knobhead :)

, I can fully understand folk with nice cars that they don't want to be dinged, taking two spaces
I just wish those with nice cars who take the 2 spaces parked further away from the shop where there is always empty spaces.

Followed a bloke the other day in a new Transit van, didn't once use his indicator. He ended up at the same builders merchants as me.

"not very good those new Transits if they don't come with indicators eh bud......" He just gave me that "I throw my MacDonalds wrappers out of the window too" look.

Sponsored Links
Back