Parking

Appreciate that H. but it seems to be an insurmountable problem caused by poor design. Subscribing to two BM forums I gather that just about everything has been tried, both by mechanics & owners, but no procedure seems to effect a permanent cure.

Thank you for the advice though.
There is nothing wrong with the basic design, it is a problem with the owners and mechanics.

Mine is a Rover 75, which is all BMW, uses all BMW parts and the same handbrake system, apart from it uses a compensator to balance the effort to each wheel brake. They both suffer the same problem, except the 75 additionally suffers from the compensator stretching or deforming - due to people having to heave too hard on the handbrake lever, to make it work.

Slack the adjustment right off at the front. Then do what most everyone including the mechanics fail to do - adjust the star-wheel adjusters at the rear.

With the wheel off, you have to use a straight/flat screw driver to push the edge of the star-wheel round. There is no consistency about which way you need to turn it, as the star adjuster can be assembled in the hub either way. The wheel will click slightly as it is turned, because the shoe return spring rests against it, to prevent it rotating by itself.

Even when people do adjust at the hub, they get it wrong - it needs to be adjusted so the shoes stop the drum rotating, then give the hub a clout with a mallet, to square the shoes and tighten some more if you can. Now back it off, just a click or two - there should still be some drag or contact between drum and shoe as the drum is rotated. That will bed in quickly as the car is driven. Refit the wheels, drop the car back on the round.

After both sides are done, you then move to the adjuster(s) at the front. With it on level ground, out of gear, tighten those up until the brakes start to come on, on the first click, test it by pushing the car back and forth. Aim for similar tension at each side.

Doing a lot of these as favours and finding the edge of the star-wheel difficult to spot through a wheel bolt hole, I devised a gadget to help see it. I fitted a 12v superbright LED on the end of a bit of twin flex, so that could be pushed through the bolt hole, to light things up. It works best at twilight if outside working.

The next problem is the interior face of the drum forming rust. As the handbrake is only normally applied with the car stationary, the drum never gets cleared of rust and rust dust is a fair lubricant. All it needs is a bit of regular use as the car is driven. Every so often, as you pull up gently at the traffic lights, with a couple of yards to still roll, pull the handbrake on one click, to polish up the drum and clear the film of rust. Once the drum face is polished up, the handbrake will get even better.

You should feel some handbrake effect with 1 click, at 2 clicks it should be very obvious, at 3 clicks it should almost be able to lock the rear wheels. The more clicks to fully apply the handbrake, the less tension you can apply with your arm on the lever.

I have modified hundreds of the compensators to fix the stretching problem as well as helping many owners to properly adjust the system, the last just a couple of weeks ago. No car has left here, without a brilliantly working handbrake.

Sponsored Links
Interesting that nobody has mentioned electric handbrakes yet...?
Work great, until they age and the motors pack up, or like mechanical handbrakes, the mechanism rusts up and don't operate correctly.

A real pain if they seize on and won't release. At least with a mechanical handbrake it is a much easier problem to overcome.

My electronic handbrake has thrown a wobbly a fair few times, as mentioned typically it gets stuck on, so far it's only happened when I've been parked up and I've learnt the procedure to clear it, it only started doing it after I had the rear discs changed so seems likely it's connected. Seems to do it maybe 5 times in a week and then nothing for a couple of months then maybe just once after another few weeks, all very random. Parking on a very step hill in a tiny spot is no fun with an electronic handbrake.

Last edited:
My electronic handbrake has thrown a wobbly a fair few times, as mentioned typically it gets stuck on, so far it's only happened when I've been parked up and I've learnt how the procedure to clear it, it only started doing it after I had the rear discs changed so seems likely it's connected. Seems to do it maybe times in a week and then nothing for a couple of months then maybe just once after another few weeks, all very random. Parking on a very step hill in a tiny spot is no fun with an electronic handbrake.
Does seem connected to having the rear discs changed.

Wonder if the screw threads, or motor, or wiring is playing up now it has been wound out (in) to maximum to fit the new discs and pads?

Sponsored Links
Mine works fine.
I think the simple mechanism operating it makes it difficult to fail.
Indeed. Just a bit surprised that they hadn't appeared in this discussion. They're normally pretty "Marmite" things. Some love 'em, some hate 'em.
Funny enough, my mechanical handbrake is absolutely "pants" and I'm damned if I can work out why! New discs, pads, cable, reconditioned calipers...

My electronic handbrake has thrown a wobbly a fair few times, as mentioned typically it gets stuck on, so far it's only happened when I've been parked up and I've learnt the procedure to clear it, it only started doing it after I had the rear discs changed so seems likely it's connected. Seems to do it maybe 5 times in a week and then nothing for a couple of months then maybe just once after another few weeks, all very random. Parking on a very step hill in a tiny spot is no fun with an electronic handbrake.
That last point is interesting. Are you referring to the fact that it's very difficult to let the car just roll gently down the slop by feathering the brake pedal as you manoeuvre? If so, that's likely to be the "hill hold" function rather than the handbrake, I'd have thought?

That last point is interesting. Are you referring to the fact that it's very difficult to let the car just roll gently down the slop by feathering the brake pedal as you manoeuvre? If so, that's likely to be the "hill hold" function rather than the handbrake, I'd have thought?
It's either in fact, the issue arises when parking in a very tight spot on a hill as mentioned, so a bit of toing and froing is required to park up close to the kerb and when you want to just roll forward a few inches but you maybe only have 8 inches to play with (Ooer) with the car in front being so close. With a traditional handbrake you can use it to control your descent by letting it down very gradually but an electronic handbrake of course is either On or OFF there is no control available. As soon as you release it you roll forward, if you have the Auto Hold feature (as VW refer to it) on then you actively have to drive forward, which is not great considering you only want to move say 3 inches and have 8 to play with and your on a steep hill. I'm not saying where you might have a foot or so each end I'm talking very tight spots, I live and work near a steep hilly coastline, parking being a premium sometimes you have to take what spaces are available.

Otherwise the Auto Hold is absolutely brilliant.

Fair points. I've been in exactly the situation you describe and disabling hill hold transiently, allows you to roll against the footbrake (which is what I end up doing). Otherwise, if you come to a stop and then start rolling again, the system panics and jams the brakes on hard. Handbrake, however, is, as you say, on or off.

Indeed. Just a bit surprised that they hadn't appeared in this discussion. They're normally pretty "Marmite" things. Some love 'em, some hate 'em.
Funny enough, my mechanical handbrake is absolutely "pants" and I'm damned if I can work out why! New discs, pads, cable, reconditioned calipers...

I explained how to sort them, up there /|\ #16

Saw a Transit van (latest generation) tonight, driver had parked the car on a steepish hill outside th village school, handbrake had failed (or not applied sufficiently), had rolled down the hill demolishing a road sign and 'beaching' on the edge of the ditch. The driver was trying to drive it out of it's predicament but all they were succeeding in doing was spinning the wheels - lots of smoke and the stink of burning ribber. When I left them they were hoping a BMW mini could pull them out...
Do hope they have learnt a lesson and from now park in gear as well as handbrake on.

Many years ago, same school, one of the teachers had parked in a similar place. Handbrake cable broke, the car rolled down the hill, missed all the obstructions and came to a full stop wheels deep in the brook.

Do hope they have learnt a lesson and from now park in gear as well as handbrake on.

You cannot beat 'muscle memory'/ driving habit of just putting the handbrake on and putting it in gear when parking. It's such an invisible to my conscientiousness habit, that I do sometimes after locking it with the remote, go back a double check.

Original Saab 99s used to enforce that - the ignition switch was beneath the handbrake and inaccesible unless the handbrake was on whilst the key was locked in the ignition switch unless the vehicle was in reverse. I missed that when I went from a 99 to a 900

Sponsored Links
Back