Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Make: Citroen
Model: C3
Engine size/Type: 1.4 Petrol Manual
Year: 2005
Mileage: 107k

So I had just parked the car and wanted to slightly correct my parking by going into reverse. So I pressed the clutch pedal and put the shifter into reverse, then it sounded like something had slipped(Not 100% sure, can't remember the exact moment) and all of a suddenly my gearbox won't work properly. 1st and 2nd gears are virtually impossible to switch to, I'm unable to turn the shifter to the left to engage them. 3rd and 5th gear is very similar. 4th is fine, and reverse too I think.
With extreme force I'm able to partially switch to the broken gears, but it makes a weird 'clicky' sound and it won't stay in that gear (The shifters goes back to the neutral position).
Also if I put into neutral it seems like it is still in one of the gears, because as I lift the clutch pedal up the car goes forward. I was in a very tight space and wasn't able to move forward match to determine what gear it was stuck on. I had taken the plastic cover off, but to a non-technical eye nothing seems wrong, no loose parts and nothing seems to be broken.

Sponsored Links
Your car may have those ball joint rods that connect the gearshift lever to the gearbox itself......there's a good chance that one has popped off. They are at the back of the engine / top of the gearbox.
John :)

So I took the whole gearbox apart with a friend, seems like the clutch had broken. We were able to change only the necessary part to get it working, this of course is only a temporary fix, as the car had broken 50 miles away from my home, so only needed the clutch to work to get it my town. I will be replacing the clutch this weekend. Oh I also used some butter to 'lubricate' the parts inside, the internet is full of mysteries ;)
Thanks for trying to help.

So you've had the box out for a temporary repair and plan to take it out again?

Sponsored Links
Yes. Temporarily fixed the clutch to get it back to my home and last weekend I replaced it with a new one.

Back