Car timing belt movement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have just fitted a new water pump, Timing Bet, Idler & roller to my 406 HDI car, now it drives like a dream and there are no strange noises or smells, it was pinned up 100% correctly and although I never used the specific tension tool I am quite certain that the tension is ok
( 90 degree twist there or there about ), however I decided to leave the upper Timing Belt casing off to monitor the belt for a few weeks before I replace it, what I notice when I look at the timing belt is that it moves from left to right constantly ( about 3-5 mm ) on either cogs or idler, is this normal? I can not state weather the old belt did the same as it was concealed by the casing, any advice would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
If you have fitted a new idler etc it should be OK but just watch it carefully running and see if it actually runs off the edges of the sprockets. If not it should be OK, it will probably settle down in a few miles. You may find that it needs retensioning again too. The tension is not all that critical as long as it cant jump teeth, it will gradually get slacker as it ages anyway.

The belt shouldn't wander, but as Peter says it will probably centralise itself, presuming it isn't too slack. A good test is to see if you can twist the belt 90 deg on its longest run. An overtight belt tends to whine.
I've borrowed a SEEM type tensioning device from Renault before.....every time its repositioned, the reading changes. The mechanics didn't use it either!
John :)

Belts always tend to ride towards any high spots on the pulleys. The fact it's hunting is probably a good thing, indicating the pulley surfaces are pretty much flat and parallel, so it doesn't know where to go. The time to worry is when it runs tight to one side, and starts tearing itself apart against the guide fences.

Sponsored Links
And get the casing back on too. It's there to stop craap getting in which will wear away at your new belt and pulleys.

Hi,
I have just fitted a new water pump, Timing Bet, Idler & roller to my 406 HDI car, now it drives like a dream and there are no strange noises or smells, it was pinned up 100% correctly and although I never used the specific tension tool I am quite certain that the tension is ok
( 90 degree twist there or there about ), however I decided to leave the upper Timing Belt casing off to monitor the belt for a few weeks before I replace it, what I notice when I look at the timing belt is that it moves from left to right constantly ( about 3-5 mm ) on either cogs or idler, is this normal? I can not state weather the old belt did the same as it was concealed by the casing, any advice would be greatly appreciated

Why does it drive better, was you temp high, or timing out?

Back