Caravan Alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My caravan is kept in my driveway at home. It is about 12 meters away from my house.

Is it possible to fit an alarm to the caravan that would go off if the door was forced open or the caravan was moved?

What I want is some alarm that sends the alarm by radio to my house so I know it has gone off and can get to a window and see what is happening and call the police, go and chase the thieves etc.

I don't want an alarm that sounds in the caravan as it might simply annoy the neighbours.

The caravan is hooked up to the mains but obviously any alarm would need a battery back-up.

I am very much wanting any ideas as I feel that an alarm would make my caravan much safer.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There are ways to achieve this, I would ask local companies for possible solutions or ask at the caraven club as man people will have done all different methods.

a gps tracker in the van could be a possible solution, that way you know where it ended up and route being taken

There are ways to achieve this, I would ask local companies for possible solutions or ask at the caraven club as man people will have done all different methods.

a gps tracker in the van could be a possible solution, that way you know where it ended up and route being taken

I'm not wanting to track it but wake up quickly if anyone tried to move it. A loud alarm in my bedroom would achieve all I need.

lots of different ways of doing this but depends on layout and how much you want to spend.

for example if your drive is shared or walled or not can affect your options

Sponsored Links
It is about 12 meters away from my house.
Is it possible to fit an alarm to the caravan that would go off if the door was forced open or the caravan was moved.
What I want is some alarm that sends the alarm by radio to my house

one of the older Yale systems would do that with ease (no need for a Smart).

If you got an HSA6400 it could also phone your mobile, to alert you if you were away from home. And other numbers, such as a trusted neighbour. You only need to put the sensors in the van, the control panel and/or siren can be in your house. The batteries usually last more than two years but a good routine is to change them annually. I don't think there is an inertia-type movement sensor but you could rig something with the magnet/reed switch door sensors.

A siren inside the vehicle, perhaps concealed or out of reach, can upset the thieves. Otherwise they might think they've got away with it. You can have as many sirens as you want.

You didn't mention how much you want to spend.

If you put a cheap mobile phone in it, with a "stalker's" tracking app, you could see the location. However, commercial vehicle thieves know about these and use a jamming device.

the tracker could alert you to your phone if it was moved even a relatively short distance but may not be the cheapest solution

Orisec do an accelerometer which if moved from its last registered position will activate an alarm, but this isn't available for diy unfortunately.

also possible to turn off supervision so it doesn't go mad when your away in the van

What I want is some alarm that sends the alarm by radio to my house

The caravan is hooked up to the mains

As you have a cable to the van for the mains then a second cable ( alarm type cable ) would provide far more reliable communications than a wireless link. Cutting the cable or pulling it's plug from the van would create an alarm condition

lots of different ways of doing this but depends on layout and how much you want to spend.

for example if your drive is shared or walled or not can affect your options
My drive is not shared, I could fit a wireless sensor to the gate as it is only for the caravan. (I live on a corner of two roads so the caravan is in a driveway off the side road and my car uses a totally separate driveway off the main road. It sould like a huge place but it is a small two bed roomed flat)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back