Caravan Club, Certified sites

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour has informed me that he is applying to be a 'Certified Site', his garden wraps round the back of mine & I will therefore lose the current privacy & maybe some of the view.

One of the factors in purchasing my property was the view & the fact that we were not overlooked..

Just wondered if anyone has had experience in either applying for a certified site or having one spring up in your area.

From what I am reading this does not need planning consent .

Sponsored Links
I would suggest contacting your local planning office and also the Caravan Club section that deals with these matters.
Explain what your neighbour has told you and include plans of both properties at the present time.
Explain what views and privacy you enjoy at the moment and state your concerns that this will not only change these points but may also have a detrimental effect on the value of your home, regardless if you were to put it up for sale or remain there yourself.

I certainly wouldn't sit back and wait till it starts to happen.

A CS site does indeed not require planning, I did once look into this and had the caravan club assessment for a CS but I doubt he would get approved based on the overlooking of you property.

It is also good to note that although there is potential for you to be overlooked and maybe some noise from campers in reality a CS will only ever have 5 vans on at any time, most users of CS sites don't have kids as they normally want facilities so noise is low, a lot of caravanners would see that you maybe overlooking them too and wont park near you.
If and when the CS assessor does come round they would speak to you about the impact and if you did object I think they would listen to you anyway and not approve it.

I would have thought the land would come under local Council Planning Permission as it will be change of land use for business purposes,
certain amenities would have to be laid on i.e access to drinking water, waste removal. vehicle parking etc.

Under Planning Permission Regs, you cannot dispute Planning Permission on the grounds of losing a view.
Why not post this in the Building/Planning Permission Section

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your inputs. I did contact the caravan club & got a reply, stating that they look at the site, contact all that may be affected & we then have 28 days to lodge our objections. The contact with the caravan club apart from my email address, they don't know where I am, which I thought was nice just to ask a question with wanting the ins & outs.
I will contact the planning dept, but what I have been reading, I don't think that they will interested.

Just spoke to the planning dept. of my local council, and they state 5 caravans or less no approval required.

I would have thought the land would come under local Council Planning Permission as it will be change of land use for business purposes,
certain amenities would have to be laid on i.e access to drinking water, waste removal. vehicle parking etc.

Under Planning Permission Regs, you cannot dispute Planning Permission on the grounds of losing a view.
Why not post this in the Building/Planning Permission Section

Clean water from a tap point and also a disposal point for waste - this will be decided by the caravan club

As for change of land use I don't think its classed as most of the time the field is still a field and no real alterations take place for a CS.

Vehicle parking - well they park next to their caravan in a wet field its part of the fun haha.

To be honest I doubt they will go ahead as the potential gains are not great, as you expect to pay less than £10 per night for a CS or at least the last time I stayed on one you did.

Get yerself an old LandRover, park it in a prominent position on your land and charge £150 a time to drag them off the field when it rains

Time to stick the massive decking that overlooks it up...

Make up some dummy cameras on tripods looking out over your fence/hedge.
When anyone asks what they are for tell them you are an avid bird watcher/plane spotter/wildlife enthusiast or something similar.
Should send them packing after one night.

Sponsored Links
Back