Caravan electrics, can you help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have a problem with the 240 supply in my caravan. A toaster was plugged in and developed a fault (overheated) and The mains supply light went off. When i take the 2amp 240 supply fuse out, the mains light comes on, but when i replace it, the mains light goes out, the fuse appears to be ok. It seems as though there is a problem with the plug circuit, and connecting the plug supply via the fuse trips it off. There are two plugs, and both are affected. The fuses in the zig are all ok. There is a separate box (Hagen?) in the caravan which lights up ok, just seems to be the plug circuit. Does anyone know what has happened and how can i get the sockets working again, thanks, Tom

Sponsored Links
no idea what you mean by "mains light"

also 2 amp fuse does seem some what small are you sure its 2 amp?

have yopu taken the sockets off to look behind them? i get the feeling it could be "interesting"

Hi Breezer, the mains light is on the ZIG electric box which supplies charge to the 12v and 240 supply to the van, the 2 amp fuse is there to connect the 240 v plug circuit to the system, looked behind the plugs andfound nothing unusual, Tom.

tom59 said:
Hi, i have a problem with the 240 supply in my caravan. A toaster was plugged in and developed a fault (overheated) and The mains supply light went off. When i take the 2amp 240 supply fuse out, the mains light comes on, but when i replace it, the mains light goes out, the fuse appears to be ok. It seems as though there is a problem with the plug circuit, and connecting the plug supply via the fuse trips it off. There are two plugs, and both are affected. The fuses in the zig are all ok. There is a separate box (Hagen?) in the caravan which lights up ok, just seems to be the plug circuit. Does anyone know what has happened and how can i get the sockets working again, thanks, Tom

the light could be an emergency light. i.e lights when there is no power

Sponsored Links
tom59 said:
Hi, i have a problem with the 240 supply in my caravan. A toaster was plugged in and developed a fault (overheated) and The mains supply light went off. When i take the 2amp 240 supply fuse out, the mains light comes on, but when i replace it, the mains light goes out, the fuse appears to be ok.
First, 2A is nowhere near enough for a socket - check your toaster and see what its power rating is - if it's 500W or more, it would blow a 2A fuse (maybe immediately, but if it's only just over 500W, eventually).

Secondly, the light coming on when the fuse is removed suggests it's a battery-powered emergency light, which comes on when power is removed.

Since the 2A fuse is OK (so it didn't blow when the toaster was... toasted!), and is too small for sockets, I think you need to look harder for a fuse or circuit breaker that's more powerful (say 13A but may be more) and then I think you'll have found the cuplrit.

Cheers,

Howard

thing i would like to point out is that caravans have either a 5A or 13A supply and everything is reated as such (so i am told) and most kit, beleive it or not is 12v
But that doesnt give the excuse to wire it wrong.
--------------------------------
Is the caravan new to you?

This sounds like the 220V supply is coming from an inverter, and if this is the case and it only has a 2A fuse, then the inverter is likely rated at 480W Max peak load, for a short period it may handle up to about 520W.

As has been mentioned by HD, the toaster is likely overloading the circuit. I have an Inverter, and the light only comes on in the event of OVERLOAD, other than that it is OFF at all times.

I'm thinking that you have a self resetting RCD lurking somewhere in all that electronic stuff. Toasters are notorious for tripping RCDs. All it takes is a burnt crumb lodged between the element and the casing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back