Making a caravan mains hook up cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to make a cable for a caravan's electric supply when parked in the garden. I have the plug parts, and through looking online at cables I noticed an electrical supplier on eBay selling the complete cable and plugs, but was 1.5mm 3 core for up to 10m, then 2.5mm for over 10m.

Mine will be about 9m and I actually have the correct amount or armoured cable in 1.5mm. The supply will be used for music, lights and a heater though, so is 1.5mm ok? It's an oil filled heater of 2.5kw.

Any help and advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
SWA is the wrong cable to attach to in-line 16A plugs and sockets.

Sponsored Links
Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks for the links but I think my question is being slightly misunderstood. It's not for a campsite - I have that cable. It's for literally running to my garage so can be used at home. And if a 2.5kw (or thinking about it, maybe actually less than that as that's overkill - maybe a 1.5kw) heater is being used, what size, 1.5 or 2.5mm?

Thanks

Yes I know that, sorry, I was referring to the ready made cables you were suggesting. OK then, so what size, 1.5 or 2.5mm?

Unless you install a dedicated circuit for the van, you are pretty much limited to 13A.

So, your ready-made existing "campsite" lead should do it.

You just need to make up a 13A plug to 16A socket lead (like in my ebay link) so you can connect your campsite lead to a 13A socket at home then Bob's your Uncle.

The 16A socket on the end of your campsite lead presumably fits the connection point on the outside of your van?

If so, you're good to go.

I haven't got the cable, that's what I need!.... It'll be about 8-9m.

Sorry...

When you said "It's not for a campsite - I have that cable.", I thought you meant you had a 16A extension lead already for camping.

OK.

So, if you are making a lead from scratch and it's for a maximum load of 13A (all you can draw from a standard 3 pin household socket outlet), and your length is no more than 10m, then 1.5 should suffice.

Has the van got electrics installed already?

If not, are you just running the cable into the van through an open door or window?

Thanks :) - the caravan has the correct hook up socket and it's own RCD with 2 MCB's in it. So now you know what I mean (sorry if I confooosed!), the armour cable is still a no no?

If you want to feed a fixed socket mounted externally from which you can run the lead for the van, then use the SWA.

If you want to make up a extension lead, use flex.

As mentioned earlier, you cannot terminate the armour in the 16A accessories, nor will the cable fit the clamps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back