Carbide utility knife blades Y or N?

Worth it

• Total voters
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is the extra cost worth it for the 5x life of normal blades?

And do they even give 5x more life?

Or only worth it for specific materials - plasterboard comes to mind.

Sponsored Links
Tried them once, they are quite a bit stiffer than even Stanley HD blades and they do last longer on PB. I wasn't convinced they were worth the money (50 to 60p a pop when bought in tens). In the end I found (well, a floor layer put me onto them) a Sheffield bulk blade supplier on Etsy who were charging under £10 per 100 for heavy duty blades, or 9.99p each. I have kept a couple of the carbide blades "just in case", though :sneaky:

Actually @opps I said "under £10" - so £9.99 = 999 pence, and 999/100 blades = 9.99 pence (or just under 10p) each. How is that out, even very, very slightly? (working to 2 decimal places of a penny)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Actually @opps I said "under £10" - so £9.99 = 999 pence, and 999/100 blades = 9.99 pence (or just under 10p) each. How is that out, even very, very slightly? (working to 2 decimal places of a penny)

My bad.

I will learn to read when I am older.

Personally, I prefer using snap off blades. Unfortunately, they, erm... snap if you apply a lot of pressure. Regular stanley blades are useless for things like trimming paper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back