Venting Tumble Dryer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I currently have what i can only describe as a 'normal' drill with hammer-action, but am having difficulty in drilling the 112mm or so diameter required for fitting a tumble dryer vent. Instead of using a diamond core bit (which probably wouldn't even work with my drill), i have decided on drilling a series of holes, and then chiselling and finishing up. Not quite as neat, i know, but seems a bit more cost-effective.

My question is: since Screwfix appear to have some good offers on SDS drills (namely Ryobi and Bosch), would this greatly help my cause or indeed be seen as a requirement when coming to jobs like this? The material to be drilled through consists of one concrete block and brick behind that.

In addition - by mistake a few years ago! - i already purchased SDS bits from Makro thinking they'd work with my existing drill, only to now find that they clearly don't. Since they were at quite a good price (JCB), i'm thinking it would be best to try and use these with a new drill. Or would buying a larger masonry bit for my existing drill have the same effect (also a JCB, so perhaps not amazing to begin with!).

Also as a final request, can someone please explain the difference between a percussion drill and a SDS one? I've just read on one website that a Percussion drill uses SDS bits which confuses me as to what the 'SDS-only' does? :oops:

P.S. I've looked at hiring and it seems pretty pricey. HSS have a SDS drill for one day at around £35! Admittedly, i haven't yet looked at the local places so they might be worth giving a shot. Though to be honest, i wouldn't mind buying a good drill that could be used for boring such holes as i'm sure it could come in useful in the future as well at some point.

Cheers ;)

Sponsored Links
The £40 odd Ryobi on Screwfix will sort you out nicely, and will take your existing bits. The difference between a standard hammer action drill and even the cheapest of SDS machines is like night and day.

Stitch drilling as it's known, need not be too messy if you are careful and finish up with some expanding foam to seal the gaps.

you can hire a drill for the job. it will do holes for all the extractor fans, cooker hoods and tumble driers you are likely to want, in half a day.

it is used without percussion or hammer.

it makes an excellent round hole.

(I mean, hire a core drill with a 105mm or 110mm cutter)

p3852485_l.jpg

I did this a long time ago - had to hire a drill as they were not so available (or cheap). BEWARE if you drill too enthusiasticaly from the inside to out, there is a possibility that the bricks will spall badly around your series of holes, so they tell me :oops:
Frank
P.S. the £40 or so for a cheapo SDS drill is the best investment you will ever buy.

Sponsored Links
Jaz - SDS is a must for drilling 'serious' holes and also anything into concrete. Prince of D is spot-on about drilling in to out as large lumps of external masonry are likely to fall as the core drill emerges. To avoid this, drill all the way through the wall with the smallest dia masonry drill, then go 1/2 way (or more) through the wall with the core drill then from outside core-drill inwards; result neat hole.

You need a core bit, and as the bricks and concrete blocks are relatively soft, then you should be able to fit this into and use a normal drill if the drill has a powerful motor. You don't use hammer.

SDS shanks/bits will fit into a 13mm normal chuck if need be - just make sure the jaw is not in the groove of the bit or it will rotate out of centre

There is also a good Dewalt on offer at screwfix. If you want an SDS, and may be doing any chiseling, get one with a "roto-stop" setting

SDS and percussion (ie normal drills) differ in the mechanics of how the bit is hammered. SDS uses pneumatics to give a more powerful blow than the simple rotating cog/cam of a normal drill.

And who said drilling was boring?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back