Sds drills

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi lads, need some info on Sds and normal percussion drills. Firstly what is the largest size drill bits you can buy for percussion and secondly I was told Sds aren't much good by a sparky but everyone has one. Is he talking cobblers. I bought a big percussion but can't find bits larger than 16mm. Do u need Sds bigger than this or do u core it?. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Firstly what is the largest size drill bits you can buy for percussion

Easily available up to 16mm.

and secondly I was told Sds aren't much good by a sparky but everyone has one. Is he talking cobblers?

He is. They're incredibly useful machines for masonry drilling and chiseling.

If so which brand shall I go for and where shall I get and bits screwfix? Thanks

Bosch. Shop around.

Can I buy a convertor to go from 3 jaw percussion to Sds to save me buying one . the drills a bosch 1100 watt core drill seems plenty to use Sds bits in

Can I buy a convertor to from 3 jaw percussion to Sds to save me buying one the drills 1100 watt seems plenty to use Sds bits

No. The operation of an SDS drill is completely different to a percussion drill. An 800W SDS has vastly more impact energy than any percussion drill.

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks but let me explain what I mean. Sds has more impact I know but if I just want to drill big holes would it be acceptable just to get a convertor to use the bigger bits .

Ok thanks but let me explain what I mean. Sds has more impact I know but if I just want to drill big holes would it be acceptable just to get a convertor to use the bigger bits .In percussion only mode not high impact

Ok thanks but let me explain what I mean. Sds has more impact I know but if I just want to drill big holes would it be acceptable just to get a convertor to use the bigger bits .In percussion only mode not high impact like on hammer

No. You will never get enough impact energy out of a percussion drill.

If you want to drill a large hole, buy or hire a suitable tool.

Sparky talking crap, SDS far superior for masonry and concrete drilling.

Even the cheapie Titan stuff outperforms any percussive drill I've ever used (except the big Hilti ones that would nigh on break your arms if you snagged them in granite!)

For the price - what, 40 or 50 quid including a starter set of bits? Definitely worth having for the big holes and buy a decent variable speed percussive for the small wallplug stuff.

Bosch battery sds had my 24 volt for a few years by stepping up the drill sizes drilled loads of 30mm holes !!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant hardly belive it myself but I have.

For bigger holes use tct core drills with extensions again with a sds but corded even put loads of 115mm holes through with my makita sds. !!!!
I cant belive that either but I have. (too chicken to use my milwakee core drill thrown me twice despite 161/2 stone)

Both still working but do wipe them down every so often with a damp cloth and blow out all the dust with a compressor through the vents.

I have to put in a vote for the Bosch (Blue) SDS, can't remember the model. Got mine for about £80 but shopped around (a lot). I've had various drills before that, the biggest waste of money the Ryobi SDS, which broke in about a month. It was reduced from £50 -> £30, but I wouldn't pay a tenner for it now.

Not only is the Bosch the fastest drill I've owned for walls, it also the quietest, and has the least vibration. Go figure that one... I've got the adapter with a keyless chuck but I rarely use it as it often makes the whole thing too long (the Bosch SDS isn't that short to start with). I keep instead a B&Q Performance Power £15 jobbie for normal drill bits, or when I have to drive a lot of screws/bolts. They seem to last a while if you use something else for the heavy jobs.

Ok ive looked in screwfix and there's 2 types Sds max and Sds plus what's the difference lads and can the drill bits be used in both or are they specific to either the max or plus drill only.I take it I'm being steered in the plus direction here as they have the 1000 mm bits . I will be doing more heavy drilling than chiselling

they are not interchangeable. SDS plus is much more common and will be fine for most things including large holes and small cores.

SDS max is a little more heavy duty and only really found on 5 KG SDS machines and up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back