Best cheap SDS drill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

If my heading is not a contradiction in terms, can anyone reccomend a good SDS drill for occaisional use?

I bought a DeWalt not very long ago, its only been used on two or three jobs and has failed, wont hammer. I have had it to bits and there doesn't appear to be any mechanical failure but the grease seems to be escaping from the percussion cylinder. I can't see what the problem is and I have looked up the price of spares and its potentially going to cost more than I paid for it. Hence the request

Thanks in anticipation.

Peter

Sponsored Links
how cheap is cheap? i assume the dewalt was second hand? Treat yourself to the cheapest new bosch blue of necessary size and then bask in the knowledge that you will die before it does.

The best value for money sds drill is Bosch blue.

No contest.

Buying a cheap sds and expecting it to drill all day for a number of days is pointless.

A contractor who uses power products like you have never seen, once told me that the heat gets to the cheap tat. Once the cheap ones run hot for a long period, they break.

I've got a Bosch blue SDS. I've had it 20 years and it was second hand when I bought it. It will never die - I often wish it would. It's ugly as sin.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your comments. The DeWalt was new, but out of guarantee, that's why I didn't feel like buying another 'quality' one. I don't use it much its only for DIY and its highly probable that I will die before a good one does, I'm 71 now and I only have one job lined up for it :D

Anyway I will persue the Bosch one, we have Bosch appliances in the house and they have proved reliable.

Thanks again

Peter

We punish our drills to the point of destruction but the Bosch blue lives on and on and on.

i asked a similar question a while back. got a bosch blue sds. never looked back :cool:

I bought a cheap erbauer for occasional use fro screwfix, its been really good and has had alot more use then I intended it for. Its about 3yrs old now, still going well, usually use it for drilling large holes in masonry(25mm, 18mm) and chiselling out channels in walls for piperuns.

That's the one I bought. Apologies to all of you that recommended the Bosch, but for the small ammount mine gets used its not really worth it. Thanks all for your input.

Peter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back