Carbon build-up at gas valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What causes the build up of carbon deposits at the inlet side of the gas valve (i.e. upstream of the mesh filter)?

Is it a symptom of a problem somewhere or merely a regular service requirement? If the latter, how often should it need to be done?

TIA

Tony B

Sponsored Links
Yes, also one of the disadvantages of some these forums is that one often gets wildly conflicting opinions from the 'Experts'
You still have to assess which is the most likely one to trust.
I hope you make more progress than I did.

Yes, also one of the disadvantages of some these forums is that one often gets wildly conflicting opinions from the 'Experts'
You still have to assess which is the most likely one to trust.
I hope you make more progress than I did.

I've just read you're 'sooty thermocouple' thread. Basically, you were advised to stop messing with it and get someone out. You may not have liked that advice, but it wasn't that hard to understand. :rolleyes:

Its not soot it is something the shippers put into the gas network to help seal leaks and comes through the pipework and is caught in the filters of the gas valves

Sponsored Links
Its not soot it is something the shippers put into the gas network to help seal leaks and comes through the pipework and is caught in the filters of the gas valves

Pay attention namsag :LOL: I never said it was soot. I was replying to digital des' whinging that he never got very good advice.

Pay attention sooey i was replying to the guy who asked the initial question about carbon deposits. ;)

Thanks for the sooty build up link.

I am not sure that the deposits I have seen are like this, but it is difficult to tell from the picture.

Blue/black colour, almost the size of large grains of rice (can't think of any other way of describing them).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back